VMware Cloud Community
jfvet
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Unable to log into vCenter 6.7 VMware Appliance Management page

vCenter 6.7 fresh vCenter Server Appliance install with an embedded Platform Services Controller on a 6.5 ESXi host.

Stage 1: Deploy appliance - Completed successfully

Stage 2: Configure appliance - Completed sucessfully

When I try to log in as root on the VMware Appliance Management web:5480 page using the IP address of the server, I receive the error. Unable to login, NOT the error Unable to authenticate user. I can successfully log in using the console with root credentials. Used a variety of browsers and validated security settings. Any ideas?

61 Replies
Robert121281
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Benedikt,

Thanks. I did just now. Same situation 😕

Regards,

Robert

0 Kudos
mcsuc3m
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi

I am having the same trouble after upgrade vCenter from 6.5 to 6.7. When I try login in VMware Appliance Management as root via web

the access to the account fail but when i login via ssh i have no problem. 

Introducing additional information, this is what i see in my  /var/log/vmware/applmgmt/applmgmt.log:

2018-09-26T09:21:04.670 [28529]ERROR:vmware.vapi.server.wsgi_server:too many values to unpack (expected 2)

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/usr/lib/vmware-vapi/lib/python/vapi_runtime-2.100.0-py2.py3-none-any.whl/vmware/vapi/server/wsgi_server.py", line 111, in _handle_rest_call

output = self._rest_handler.invoke(request, endpoint, args)

File "/usr/lib/vmware-vapi/lib/python/vapi_runtime-2.100.0-py2.py3-none-any.whl/vmware/vapi/rest/handler.py", line 994, in invoke

security_context = self.security_context_builder.build(request)

File "/usr/lib/vmware-vapi/lib/python/vapi_runtime-2.100.0-py2.py3-none-any.whl/vmware/vapi/rest/handler.py", line 725, in build

security_context = parser.build(request)

File "/usr/lib/vmware-vapi/lib/python/vapi_runtime-2.100.0-py2.py3-none-any.whl/vmware/vapi/security/user_password.py", line 65, in build

request)

File "/usr/lib/vmware-vapi/lib/python/vapi_runtime-2.100.0-py2.py3-none-any.whl/vmware/vapi/security/user_password.py", line 89, in _get_username_password_from_auth_header

username, password = user_password_str.split(':')

ValueError: too many values to unpack (expected 2)

Greetings.

0 Kudos
MattMeyer
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I was just having the same problem in my lab. The PSC/VCSA were also upgraded from 6.5 to 6.7. To get it working I SSH'd into the VCSA and changed the password using 'passwd' to something simple. I chose "VMware1!". Then I head over to the Appliance Management Interface on port 5480 and I was able to get right in using the root/VMware1!. I then logged out, and head back to the SSH session and changed the password back to the original strong password. Then back to the VCSA:5480, and wouldn't you know it? The original password worked this time.

Robert121281
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I told several times - It is not a password issue. I did change the password to a different one and so on. It has nothing to do with the password. It is not working. This issue is not related to known bugs (certain chars in the password) and/or expired password.

Thanks,

Robert

0 Kudos
FedericoAlves
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have the same issue, did anybody achieve success?

What is wrong and how to fix it

Yours

Federico

0 Kudos
nimdach
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi :

i got the same issue and here is what i resolved the issue

1. Login VCSA ssh console
  2. Check what service not start

# service-control --status 

Fount the applmgmt.service not start

3. Manual start the specific service

# service-control --start applmgmt.service 

4. Login VCSA Web console success

arudko
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have the same issue, but a very simple deployment. Today I downloaded the latest copy of ESXI 6.7 and deployed it. Entered a default password that I generally use. I do not have a vCenter server. This is completely stand alone. 100% fresh deployment. Once complete I can't log in using the creds I just entered which I'm 100% are correct. I can not SSH either. I've tried to wipe and reinstall 3x now, same result.

0 Kudos
enazato
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
prashanma
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have same issue, getting following errors

using https://<ipaddress>

503 Service Unavailable (Failed to connect to endpoint: [N7Vmacore4Http20NamedPipeServiceSpecE:0x000055f220aa9700] _serverNamespace = / action = Allow _pipeName =/var/run/vmware/vpxd-webserver-pipe)

root@photon-machine [ ~ ]#  service-control --status  

Stopped:

pschealth vmcam vmware-cm vmware-content-library vmware-imagebuilder vmware-mbcs vmware-netdumper vmware-perfcharts vmware-rbd-watchdog vmware-sca vmware-sps vmware-stsd vmware-updatemgr vmware-vcha vmware-vpxd vmware-vsan-health vmware-vsm vsan-dps

Running:

applmgmt lwsmd vmafdd vmcad vmdird vmdnsd vmonapi vmware-analytics vmware-cis-license vmware-eam vmware-pod vmware-postgres-archiver vmware-rhttpproxy vmware-statsmonitor vmware-sts-idmd vmware-vmon vmware-vpostgres vsphere-client vsphere-ui

StartPending:

vmware-vapi-endpoint vmware-vpxd-svcs

root@photon-machine [ ~ ]#  service-control --start applmgmt.service

Operation not cancellable. Please wait for it to finish...

Service-control failed. Error: {

"problemId": null,

"resolution": {

"id": "install.ciscommon.cmlookup.resolution",

"translatable": "Please refer to component manager documentation to troubleshoot.",

"localized": "Please refer to component manager documentation to troubleshoot."

},

"componentKey": null,

"detail": [

{

"id": "install.ciscommon.service.notfound",

"translatable": "Unable to locate service '%(0)s'",

"args": [

"applmgmt.service"

],

"localized": "Unable to locate service 'applmgmt.service'"

}

]

}

How can we resolve this issue ?

Skyba
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Try run command "#  service-control --start applmgmt" - without symbols "

Burty101s
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

service-control --start applmgmt

Worked for me however, the service fails to start:

Command> service-control --start applmgmt

Operation not cancellable. Please wait for it to finish...

Performing start operation on service applmgmt...

Error executing start on service applmgmt. Details {

{

"id": "install.ciscommon.service.failstart",

"localized": "An error occurred while starting service 'applmgmt'",

"applmgmt"

],

"translatable": "An error occurred while starting service '%(0)s'"

}

],

"resolution": null

}

Service-control failed. Error: {

{

"id": "install.ciscommon.service.failstart",

"localized": "An error occurred while starting service 'applmgmt'",

"applmgmt"

],

"translatable": "An error occurred while starting service '%(0)s'"

}

],

"resolution": null

}

Upgraded from 6.5 to 6.7 and now can't get into vCenter at all and although the management page loads, won't let me login regardless of what account I use and I assume that's because the services won't start. I do have some "Pending" Services:

Command> service-control --status

Running:

lwsmd vmafdd vmcad vmdird vmdnsd vmware-pod vmware-postgres-archiver vmware-statsmonitor vmware-sts-idmd vmware-vmon vmware-vpostgres

StartPending:

vsphere-client vsphere-ui

Stopped:

applmgmt pschealth vmcam vmonapi vmware-analytics vmware-cis-license vmware-cm vmware-content-library vmware-eam vmware-imagebuilder vmware-mbcs vmware-netdumper vmware-perfcharts vmware-rbd-watchdog vmware-rhttpproxy vmware-sca vmware-sps vmware-stsd vmware-updatemgr vmware-vapi-endpoint vmware-vcha vmware-vpxd vmware-vpxd-svcs vmware-vsan-health vmware-vsm vsan-dps

It's a fresh Root password and as you can see, gets me in absolutely fine.

0 Kudos
Skyba
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can you stop this service (wait-reply to stopping service ) and start again?

0 Kudos
MattH8
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi!

I have the same problem (Unable to log into vCenter 6.7 VMware A. M. page...)

I can't access at all my vCenter virtual machine. SSH works but can't accept my Admin or root password. vCenter can't accept my ESXi host root password. vCenter don't join to working domain, but ESXi host does. This is a home lab and everything run under VMware Workstation 14 Pro in Eval. mode.

Help me, plz! :smileycry:

0 Kudos
Burty101s
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

What service do you want me to try and stop and start?

At this point I might have to just bite the bullet and build a fresh vCenter Server, annoying as I'll lose all historic data etc...

0 Kudos
fatih
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Just want to add my experience.

Had the exact same issue after an VCSA 6.5 U1 upgrade to VCSA 6.7 ( not U1 ) and I had a colon in the root password

As someone earlier suggested and tested the solution for me was also to first login through console , enable ssh , login through ssh , change root password to something simple , login to management , logout , change root password to something more complex ( might work with colon again..but I did not dare to use colon again.. )

0 Kudos
danielrcom
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This worked for me! Thanks a lot, bro.

0 Kudos
baronfunke420
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Worked for me too - I was upgrading from VCSA 6.7d to U1, same issue.  Starting the app service fixed it.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
Wei_TW
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The same thing happens after I replace the firewall of different brands. Unable to log in to port 5480, but you can log in using SSH.

After confirming the service status. 

#service-control --status 

Found that the applmgmt service is not Running.

#service-control --start applmgmt

You can log in normally.

After logging in, I found that the vAPI Endpoint service is normal but there is a warning.

未命名.jpg

Reference KB2144715 Restart the service

#service-control --stop vmware-vapi-endpoint

#service-control --start vmware-vapi-endpoint

Then the warning disappears

My environment is: VCSA6.7u1b

0 Kudos
yjd333
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This problem also occurred with the upgrade today, and almost let me reinstall. Because all migrated to vds. Reinstalling also requires a standard switch network. Search for a topic from google. With the command: service-control --start applmgmt problem solved, thank you!

0 Kudos
mikejtucker
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Post #25 from nimdach worked for me.

Thanks

0 Kudos