VMware Cloud Community
marquelh
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to log into Virtual Center

I'm getting an error trying to log into VC -- Cannot connect to host ..... ; No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it. Also on the host itself, the VMWare Virtual Center Service starts and stops right away ..... Anyone seen this problem

0 Kudos
8 Replies
vmmeup
Expert
Expert

Is there any log entries in your Windows Even Viewer on your VC server. What are you using for your database? Is the server a member of a domain, if so what user is VC running as?

Sid Smith ----- VCP, VTSP, CCNA, CCA(Xen Server), MCTS Hyper-V & SCVMM08 [http://www.dailyhypervisor.com] - Don't forget to award points for correct and helpful answers. 😉
marquelh
Contributor
Contributor

This is the messsage I get in VC "The description for Event ID ( 1000 ) in Source ( VMware VirtualCenter Server ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Shutting down VMware VirtualCenter..."

The Host is part of a domain, the DB is SQL and that's working fine and I tried multiply User Accts with Admin rights with the same result

0 Kudos
marquelh
Contributor
Contributor

Also -- this message is listed as Informational only -- not a Warning or Error

0 Kudos
PSJ-V2S
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This error normally occurs when the virtual center server lost access to the database, causing the VMware VirtualCenter Server service to stop.

Please check the ODBC, probably you have a user/password problem there.

0 Kudos
marquelh
Contributor
Contributor

This problem is due to a nworks SPI config and IIS service. Working on a resolution to run nWorks on the VC server otherwise it will have to run on a separate server. Thanks all for your input

0 Kudos
VBDINO
Contributor
Contributor

Change your default port in IIS to something like 8080. Look into c:\windows\temp\vpx for the vpx log.

\[2007-05-11 17:23:22.547 'App' 2708 info] \[VpxdVmomi] MOB started on port 8087

\[2007-05-11 17:23:22.547 'App' 2708 error] \[VpxdVmomi] http proxy failed on port 80: Une seule utilisation de chaque adresse de socket (protocole/adresse réseau/port) est habituellement autorisée.

\[2007-05-11 17:23:22.547 'App' 2708 error] \[VpxdVmomi] Failed to start http proxy: Une seule utilisation de chaque adresse de socket (protocole/adresse réseau/port) est habituellement autorisée.

\[2007-05-11 17:23:22.547 'App' 2708 info] Shutting down VMware VirtualCenter...

\[2007-05-11 17:23:22.612 'App' 3536 error] \[VpxdOsLayer] Win32SEHTranslator: Access Violation (0xc0000005) ebp: 0x32ff870, eip: 0x709835

\[2007-05-11 17:23:22.612 'App' 3536 error]

Exception: Assert failed!

It shows that port 80 is in conflict. Since VC uses an apache server, you get two web server in conflict.

0 Kudos
jp-argentina
Contributor
Contributor

I get the same error when i finished to install vmware tools. i lost connection with my virtual center. then i log to the esx, open a console and uninstall vmware tools from windows virtual center and try to access again an it works fine.

i have two esx 3.0, windows 2003, sql 2005 in other server, odbc connection works fine.

now i'm going to upgrade to 3.0.2.

Salu2
0 Kudos
jhanekom
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

(Edit: Redundant message. It helps if you read ALL the replies before responding Smiley Happy Sorry about that. I'm leaving my input for reference.)

As per VBDINO, you need to take a look at the VirtualCenter logs to determine what is going wrong here. The most common cause is usually database connectivity issues, but port conflicts are also a possibility (though less likely if the installation worked before.)

The logs are stored in C:\Windows\Temp\vpx. Look for the log file with the latest timestamp - the one with the highest "number" isn't necessarily the latest. There should be an error message towards the end of the log file.

If the error message is related to the database (typically, anything that includes the word "ODBC"), make sure that the SQL instance hosting the VC database is up and running.

(Note that if you're using VC 2.5, the log files are located in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\Logs.)

0 Kudos