VMware Cloud Community
MShahed
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unable to locate the required Sysprep files

Hi,

I am trying to convert a physical machine running on Windows XP Professional version 2002 service pack 2 to virtual, however i am getting the error as " Unable to locate the required SysPrep Files"

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
redluna31
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello,

What is your vCenter version / OS ?

It's seem like an old one, like 5.5 or 6 with Windows server

So, normaly you need to have Sysprep tools to clone or convetrt your system.

With the Windows server vCenter you must install tgem for each version.

If you have XP CD you can find it  :

The System Preparation Tool (Sysprep) utility is located on the Windows product CD in the /Support/Tools/Deploy. cab file.

or @ microsoft web site :Download System Preparation tool for Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2 Deployment (x64) from Offici...

enjoy

Cedric RENAULD

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
redluna31
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello,

What is your vCenter version / OS ?

It's seem like an old one, like 5.5 or 6 with Windows server

So, normaly you need to have Sysprep tools to clone or convetrt your system.

With the Windows server vCenter you must install tgem for each version.

If you have XP CD you can find it  :

The System Preparation Tool (Sysprep) utility is located on the Windows product CD in the /Support/Tools/Deploy. cab file.

or @ microsoft web site :Download System Preparation tool for Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2 Deployment (x64) from Offici...

enjoy

Cedric RENAULD
0 Kudos
MShahed
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

yes, the vcenter server version is 5.1 and OS is server 2008 R2.

Can you please share with me the detail procedure on how to install the tgem ?

And i have downloaded the XP service pack from the below website and extracted the files however i could not find the deploy.cab file, there is just deploy file not deploy.cab file

Download Service Pack 2 for Windows XP Professional, x64 Edition from Official Microsoft Download Ce...

0 Kudos
MShahed
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

i am getting the same error even after extracting the .cab file. is there any way to fix this issue?

Let me share more details with you. I am trying to convert a physical machine and the OS installed is Windows XP service pack 2 and I've installed the converter tool on the xp machine and selected the option as "This local machine". However, during the final step i got the error as mentioned in the subject.

The VMware Vcenter version is 5.1 and its running on the window server 2008 R2 OS.

Kindly let me know if i am making any mistake in the client end or in the destination end.

And i would really appreciate if you can share with me the steps in detail.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
redluna31
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ok, you have extract the files in the vCenter server or on the XP with the Converter ?

in your case you must extract it @ Xp system in the directory like the error message

Another question :

- Isnt possible to onstall converter on the vCenter system ?

Cedric RENAULD
0 Kudos
MShahed
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

First, I've extracted the .cab files on my system and copied the extracted files and pasted in the @ xp system in the below path

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone\sysprep\xp

And i ran the converter tool again on the xp system and got the same error "Unable to locate the required sysrep files".

And I've installed the converter tool on the Vcenter system and it ran for nearly 20 mins and the process completed at1 % and got the error as " FAILED: An error occurred during the conversion: 'Platform-specific error 2338'

0 Kudos
redluna31
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ok

on the XP could you do a dir command in the directory ?

just to check why the system don't find the sysprep.exe

Cedric RENAULD
0 Kudos
MShahed
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

yes, i am able to perform the dir command in the directory, attached image for your reference

0 Kudos
MShahed
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

yes, i am able to perform the dir command in the directory, attached image for your reference

0 Kudos
redluna31
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

What is you Converter version ?

Cedric RENAULD
0 Kudos
MShahed
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The issue is resolved, thank you so much for your constant replies and support, really appreciate it.

0 Kudos