Contributor

Unable to load VMDK file

Hi folks,

I have 4 files:

a.nvram    (9K)

a.vmx      (3K)

a.vmdk    (1K)

a-flat.vmdk    (27GiG)

I copied all 4 in the host datastore and did a right click on the VMX and add to inventory. All good.

Now when I start the VM, it says the file specified is not a virtual disk.

Look at the configuration of the VM, the disk is pointing to the a.vmdk file. When I went to the datastore i see the a.vmdk as 27Gig now.

I do not see the a-flat.vmdk file anymore.

I have done some research and i think the file a.vmdk (smaller 1K) as to be there and VM should point to that??? and that file will reference the a-flat.vmdk.

Somehow when ever i copy both the flat file disappears...

Can someone please point out if I am doing something wrong???

H.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The good news is, you are doing nothing wrong.

In ESX virtual disks usually are divided into two files, the header/descriptor file (a.vmdk) which is a small test files and describes the disk geometry and the real data file (a-flat.vmdk for a base disk or a-00000x-delta.vmdk for a snapshot disk). The datastore browser will show this as only one file, the a.vmdk. If you ever see a flat or delta file in the datastore browser, you have a serious issue.

About the error message, please attach the vmx file as well as the latest vmware.log to your next post to find out what causes the message.

André

0 Kudos
writehaseeb
Contributor
Contributor

Hi tried once more and attaching the log and the vmx file!!!

Also real file name is CLM1.0.01ARS.vmx

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

In the logfile there is the error:

Feb 19 08:33:07.914: vmx| DISKLIB-VMFS : VmfsExtentCommonOpen: possible extent truncation (?) realSize is 54503330, size in descriptor 83886080.

Feb 19 08:33:07.923: vmx| DISKLIB-VMFS : "/vmfs/volumes/4cc6fdcf-b8bd8264-b80a-0010186870c0/CLM1.0.01ARS-flat.vmdk" : failed to open (The file specified is not a virtual disk): Size of extent in descriptor file larger than real size. Type 3

What size is the ...-flat.vmdk? If thin provisioned, what's was the size of the virtual disk when it was created?

Please attach the descriptor vmdk file. Maybe this can be fixed.

Do you have a backup of the files in case something goes wrong with the fixed descriptor file?

André

0 Kudos
writehaseeb
Contributor
Contributor

CLM1.0.01ARS-flat.vmdk

this one is 25.9 Gig !!!

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Seems you forgot to attach the descriptor file (CLM1.0.01ARS.vmdk).

André

0 Kudos
Osaili
Contributor
Contributor

I think it is related to the path of your VMDK

I would suggest to edit your VM settings from GUI.

Then remove all disks (DO NOT DELETE IT from DISK), click Ok.

Then Edit the settings again and add your disk.

PS: You will only see the a.vmdk in the datastore browser.

0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

Where did these files come from?

If this was form a VMWare Workstation installation, you'll need to convert them to the correct format for them to work on ESX / ESXi.

If this is the case, you can use vmkfstools.

Have a look at : http://www.get-virtual.info/2011/01/28/importing-a-vm-from-vm-workstation-to-esx-esxi/

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos