VMware Cloud Community
skishore
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unable to install VC 2.5 with SQL2005 SP2

I have created DB in sql 2005 server and given VC user sysadmin (DBO) rights. Sucessfully Setup OBDC connection from VC server using SQL authentication. When I run VC setup, I get to the screen where it ask for DB (DSN) and SQL login details. I enter all details (DB DSN name is same as I entered in OBDC connection). Next I get this error message "Make sure SQL server agent is running on database server". I have double checked the service in SQL server and its running. Even restarted couple of times.

Anyone seen this problem before? or any suggestion?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jvenier
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Also, I forgot to mention, that the message to "make sure that the SQL agent is running", comes up no matter what. I think it's just to make you aware that it needs to be running.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
jvenier
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I had some issues yesterday with the same setup. I found some documentation stating that the login account for the VirtualCenter database (sql user) ALSO needs to be DBO for the MSDB database during the install and then can be removed afterwards. That was the fix for me.

Hope that helps...

jvenier
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Also, I forgot to mention, that the message to "make sure that the SQL agent is running", comes up no matter what. I think it's just to make you aware that it needs to be running.

0 Kudos
skishore
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks jvenier, I'll try you suggestion and will post the results. I will also try to just continue after that message. I do get the another meaage about backup and then the licensing screen after that.

0 Kudos
skishore
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks jvenier. Thats it. The message does appear no matter what. I just continued and completed the installation.

Thanks again for your help.:)

0 Kudos
jvenier
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

No problem. I'm glad everything worked out.

0 Kudos