VMware Cloud Community
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Unable to enable convertor plugin with update 1

I have upgraded VC to update 1 but I am unable to see the convertor plugin, I have uninstalled/reinstalled it above 5 time to no avail, it shows as installed but the button does not appear in VC next to update manager, has anybody else had this problem - if so how did you cure it.

0 Kudos
30 Replies
CCI-VI
Contributor
Contributor

I'm a newbie and could be wrong but your's looks the same as mine. I don't believe you're supposed to see a "button" but you should be able to right click on your host and "import machine"

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

The new converter is a bit different to invoke. After it's been enabled, right-click on a host or a resource pool where you want to add a new vm, right-click, and select 'Import Machine'

The rest should look familiar.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

There was an icon before I updated to update 1, is it gone now then! because I could run a CP exercise using that icon.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Wait, now I'm confused. Do you mean the consolidation icon? or converter? I'm running a 2.5 VC in my lab, and I don't see an icon for converter, but yes for Consolidation (Capacity Planner?)

-KjB

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Thats the one since it disappeared i cant remember what it was called, very odd one this as you can see from the screendump i did.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Look in control panel and see if 'Capacity Planner for Virtual Center' is still in add/remove programs. I wonder if this is yet another "feature" of Update 1. = )

-KjB

0 Kudos
CCI-VI
Contributor
Contributor

yes.. capacity planner is still there.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

All components are present in the control panel of installed programs.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Easiest thing would be to reinstall. It will be simpler than trying to figure out what happened.

-KjB

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I have uninstalled and reinstalled on AGAIN and on a different server, the option is still not available next to update manager?

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Looks like the install is not automated any longer. If you mount the cd/iso, go to the vpx folder, and run the CapacityPlanner.exe install manually, you should be able to install without issue.

-KjB

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

My button didn't fully show up until after I also rebooted the vc server, after I ran the CapacityPlanner.exe installer.

-KjB

0 Kudos
ejward
Expert
Expert

I'm having issues too after update 1. Mine is different though. In VC, i have the consolidation icon. It seems to work. When i go to plugins however,it shows that I still need to download and install. If i try to dowenload and install, I get an error. Enabling it is not even an option. Consolidation seems to work fine though.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Both of the plugin installs are on the cd, run them manually, and then enable the plugin.

-KjB

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Still no joy, well I will have to ensure I don't deploy this update 1 just yet as it does not work as I want, very disapointing

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Is the capacity planner service set to automatic and running? Also, are there any errors in your system log?

-KjB

0 Kudos
nsolop
Expert
Expert

My 2 cents, had the same problem yesterday. Searching on google found on many sites stating that the problem is related to the ssleay32.dll on winnt\system32. That file it's supposed to be incompatible with the one provided by many of the VMware softwares. After searching on my computer I didn't find that dll on my winnt\system32 folder, so run a search for that on my entire system and found it on many VMware folders under program files.

Then run on a cmd window the following command: regsvr32 "c:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Converter\ssleay32.dll"

That made it for me, after that I was able to right click on a host and then click on "import machine".

Had tested this procedure on 3 computers and worked like a charm.

Hope this can help and sorry about my english! Smiley Wink

Regards,

Nicolas Solop

Buenos Aires, Argentina

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

I had a test vm I reverted back to 2.5, pre Update 1. And upgraded it. When I use the custom install, and select all of the components including capacity planner, all plugins and the consolidation button showed up correctly.

When I only selected the middle radio button (Virtual Center Management Server), It was able to upgrade successfully.

I just downloaded a new ISO yesteday, build 84767. Have you tried a fresh ISO, and tried the custom install for only the consolidation?

-KjB

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Ok I built 2 identical servers (Windows 2003 Standard Server) On one I put pre Update 1 VI and the other Update 1, look the consoidation icon is missing, looking at add/remove programs they have the identical programs installed, everything is identical....this is of major concern to me and worries do arise with regards to the stability of this Update 1 if the installer does not even work correctly

0 Kudos