VMware Cloud Community
hadjer1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Unable to download Cross vCenter Workload Migration Utility

Hello,

I need to live migrate some VMs between 2 vCenter instances, but the download link for Cross vCenter Workload Migration Utility is broken : https://download3.vmware.com/software/vmw-tools/xvc-mobility-cli/xvm-3.1.jar

Can anyone provide a valid link ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
markey165
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

@hadjer1 - Ah in which case you're in luck, you're just looking in the wrong place 😊

As per my first post, this fling was productized in vCenter 7.0U1c, so as long as your vCenter 7 version is later than that, you need to use the "import" function on the new vCenter, rather than try to migrate them from the old one. I did exactly the same migration from 6.7 to 7.0 and it worked perfectly.

The feature is called Advanced cross vCenter vMotion and i have written a blog post about it here:

https://www.virt-ed.com/post/advanced-cross-vcenter-vmotion

HTH

View solution in original post

5 Replies
markey165
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

@hadjer1 - Indeed, whilst the Flings website is back online, most of the download links appear to be broken.

William Lam wrote a blog post about this Fling in his blog here and you can still download the original script from his Github page here 

Note also that this Fling was actually productized in vCenter 7.0 Update 1C, and you can import VMs from vCenter 6.5 or later into vCenter 7.0 U1C or later. The feature is called Advanced Cross vCenter vMotion.

HTH

Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello @markey165 ,

From what i saw on the fling website, this utility is java based app, the link you provided is for bulk migration .

I have a 6.7 vCenter with an enterprise plus licence and i want to live migrate my workloads to vCenter7, but the option is not appearing in my old vCenter.

Regards.

0 Kudos
markey165
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

@hadjer1 - Ah in which case you're in luck, you're just looking in the wrong place 😊

As per my first post, this fling was productized in vCenter 7.0U1c, so as long as your vCenter 7 version is later than that, you need to use the "import" function on the new vCenter, rather than try to migrate them from the old one. I did exactly the same migration from 6.7 to 7.0 and it worked perfectly.

The feature is called Advanced cross vCenter vMotion and i have written a blog post about it here:

https://www.virt-ed.com/post/advanced-cross-vcenter-vmotion

HTH

Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello @markey165 ,

Thank you so much, it worked !

markey165
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

@hadjer1 - you are very welcome 😊