VMware Cloud Community
chennaivaasi
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to contact the SNMP agent in virtual center from MG-Soft MIB browser

Hi All,

Problem statement: Not able to receive SNMP traps from Virtual center server

Scenario:

(a) ESX server - Version 3.0.1 Installed on a Dell 2650 server - fresh intall, http://ip is 192.168.1.110

(b) ESX server (host) added to a Virtual center server 2.5 ( installed on a windows XP unit), http://ipaddr is 192.168.1.130

(c) SNMP management software (MG-Soft MIB browser) installed in the same system where the virtual center has been installed viz 192.168.1.130

(d) Configured SNMP receiver from 'Virtual center management server configuration'. Receiver URL - 192.168.1.130 (or localhost), port 162 and Community string - public

(e) The two MIB files 'VMWARE-ROOT-MIB' and 'VMWARE-TRAPS-MIB' where compiled, saved in SMI directory in the MG-soft MIB borwser management software

Problem statement:

1) When I try to contact the SNMP agent in 192.168.1.130 from the SNMP management software it fails. There is a 'contact snmp agent' option in this MG-Soft MIB browser (with SNMP v1, v2 and v3 options) which will allow u to chek if the snmp agent is running or not.

2) Neither am I receiving any traps from the virtual center. Say for instance when I update the 'hostname' or 'VM' name I dont receive traps in the MG-Soft MIB browser, which I guess am supposed to.

Questions:

1) I doubt if the SNMP agent for virtual center is running in my windows XP unit, is there any process which I can track in the taskmanager which suggests that this agent is actually running ?

2) Is there any more configuration that I need to do on the virtual center to enable and receive snmp traps.

PS: I am not talking about traps from ESX server here. I have not ventured into configuring ESX server traps. I am looking out to contact the snmp agent in the Virtual center server.

Any help in this regard will be GREATLY APPRECIATED Smiley Happy

Regards,

CV

0 Kudos
0 Replies