VMware Cloud Community
sunny1986
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Unable to connect to vcenter, vmware sso service failed to initialize status code 404?

Dear all,

I have configured vcenter through vcenter appliance. My vcenter and inventory services are up and running, database and SSO are embedded, the network configuration is perfect, but still I am unable to connect to vcenter, whenever I am rebooting the appliance server I am see this error "vmware sso service failed to initialize status code 404" how to fix this issue? Please find screen shot for more details. Time zone is also perfect.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ldesfontaines
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Did you ever try to connect with you web browser to https://vca1.vmcolours.com:7444/lookupservice/sdk and check the result ?

Did you check the service status in your appliance admin page (https://vca1.vmcolours.com:5480/) ?

The SSO Service may simply be stopped on your appliance ...

From the appliance, you may also try to check the name solver : does your host can resolve vca1.vmcolours.com with the correct IP ?

Hope it helps.

See you

Ludovic

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful.
sunny1986
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The SSO service status in appliance admin page showed as running and I am able to resolve the the name with correct IP.

0 Kudos
ldesfontaines
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Were you able to connect with your web browser to https://vca1.vmcolours.com:7444/lookupservice/sdk ?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
King_Robert
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If you are seeing errors during the installation of SSO and a warning about auto-discovery failing:

1. Validate the configuration of the of the SSO server. For more information, see the Required Information for Installing or Upgrading vCenter Single Sign On, Inventory Service, and vCenter Server section of the vSphere Installation and Setup Guide.

2. Ensure the time difference between the vCenter SSO server and the Active Directory Domain controllers. If the time is off by more than 5 minutes, Kerboros authentication fails and, therefore, automatic discovery fails.

3. Verify that each domain controller has as properly configured PTR records in DNS and ensure that the contents of the PTR record are accurate. To check this from the Windows command line, you can run the nslookup command on both the name and IP:

For Name:

nslookup server.domain.com
    Server: DNS Server
    Address: Server IP address

Name: server.domain.com
    Address: IP address

For IP address:

nslookup IP address
    Server: DNS Server
    Address: Server IP address

Name: server.domain.com
    Address: IP address

4. If SSL is enabled in the domain controllers, verify that the SSL certificate is still valid. By default, SSL is enabled on most Windows Server 2008 machines.

Note: To determine if SSL is enabled on the domain controller, run ldp.exe and connect to the domain controller on port 636. The output in the right column of the ldp.exe screen indicates if SSL is enabled on the domain controller.

5. Remove and rejoin the vCenter SSO host to the domain. This exposes any connectivity or trust based errors if there are failures during the addition to the domain

6. After the installation completes, review the install.log and imsTrace.log files SSO_Server_Directory\utils\logs\ for errors in the auto discovery process.

Note: If there have been changes made, you can run this command to observe if there are still any error messages:

<SSO Server Directory>\utils\ssocli configure-riat -a discover-is -u admin