VMware Cloud Community
Scampy
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to connect to VM console on iSCSI-based VM

I have set up an Openfiler box to act as an iSCSI target for my ESX 3.0.1 box.

The target has been added to the ESX host and I can migrage a VM over to the LUN on the new storage.

The VMs powers up fine on both the iSCSI LUN and local storage. I can manipulate the configuration, power state, etc

Howerver, since I've modified my networking for the iSCSI target I can no longer open up a console connection to the VMs on either local storage or the iSCSI target.

I get this:

Error Connecting: Cannot connect to host area51.accubid.com: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not respond properly after a period of time, or established connection failed. Do you want to try again?

If I remove the iSCSI target the problem persists.

I have two physical NICs connected to a switch which also has the iSCSI box connected to it. There is one Service Console connection and one VMKernel connection to virtual switch vSwitch0 which connects to these physical NICs and the iSCSI box.

I have a third physical nic connected to my production domain for management with one Servce Console connection.

I can manage everything fine. The problem occurs when I try to open up a console connection to a VM.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
virtualdud3
Expert
Expert

Have you opened port 903 on any firewalls between the box from which you are running the VI client and the VMs?

Opening a remote console requires that port 903 be open.

############### Under no circumstances are you to award me any points. Thanks!!!
0 Kudos
Scampy
Contributor
Contributor

The service console nic I am using to manage the ESX host through Virtual Center server is on the same network segment as the ESX host and Virtual Center server.

It's not crossing a firewall.

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

You might also try the solution in this kb article, it has resolved the same problem even when not using NAT.

VI Client Cannot Open Remote Console Session on ESX Server 3.0 - http://kb.vmware.com/kb/749640

Have you tried using the web UI and see if that works OK with the remote console?

Scampy
Contributor
Contributor

Bizzare. That did the trick.

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

No problem, don't forget to award points for helpful answers using the Helpful/Correct buttons...thanks

0 Kudos