VMware Cloud Community
NattyBoh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unable to connect to Converter Enterprise Server

When I try to import a machine into VC2.5 I am receiving the message "Unable to connect to Converter Enterprise Server" on my VI Client.

I was able to import machines prior to the ugrade to update 1. The VMware Converter Enterprise Service is running and logs look clean. I have restarted the service and based on some other posts I have uninstalled and reinstall the VI Client.

Any suggestions?

BOH

VMware Infrastructure Client v 2.5.0 build 84767

VMware VirtualCenter v 2.5.0 build 84767

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
markus_herbert
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have similar problems as you.

I removed the Enterprise Converter plugin and also the service

and now I'm using the lastest standalone Converter product which is working good for me.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
markus_herbert
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have similar problems as you.

I removed the Enterprise Converter plugin and also the service

and now I'm using the lastest standalone Converter product which is working good for me.

0 Kudos
homerjnick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I got the same error and I uninstaled the Converter Service from my VC and reinstalled it and all was well.

Other forum users report the same procedure works.

0 Kudos
PacoH2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You can REPAIR Converten installation in virtual Center.

0 Kudos
Khue
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Just adding my 2 cents to this post as well. I had a pretty tough go at getting this to work. It finally did but it wasn't at all what I had expected. First of all I made sure the converter software was installed on the VC Consoles on both my local desktop and the actual VC server. At this point it was still throwing the error. I then stopped both services on both machines and started them again. The issue resolved itself with a restart of the VMware Converter Service.

I expected to see some advanced reconfiguration tools like vmdk resizing and other options but instead the only ability I was able to do was install vmware tools... Disappointment.

0 Kudos
dmcoop
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Had the same problem. Stopping the VMWare Converter Enterprise service then the VMWare VirtualCenter Server service and then starting them again (same order) fixed the problem for me. This was done on the server hosting the VirtualCenter. :smileycool:

0 Kudos
PESKI
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

HI Guys!!!

Writing from Madrid, Spain.

The only way which really worked to me was by stopping/starting services VMware Converter Enterprise Service and VMware VirtualCenter Server exactly following this order. What I think (please correct me if I'm wrong) no one has told so far is that you will need to connect to the Single Host containing the Virtual Center virtual machine (if you have VirtualCenter installed on a virtual machine, what has particular advantages and disadvantages -refer to www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_35/esx_3/r35/vi3_35_25_installation_guide.pdf Pages 71-78 -this last one to know the limitations and information concerning having VirtualCenter installed within a virtual machine-, and for deeper details on this to www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_vc_in_vm.pdf), since once you stopped "VMware Virtual Center Server" service you won't be able to connect through VirtualCenter anymore, and you should connnect to the physical host where the VirtualCenter virtual machine is actually installed. Notice also that a warning is showing telling you that "This host is managed in VirtualCenter........." while connecting to the Single Host.

Anyway, with the aim of not teaching your grandmother how to suck eggs, I hope this helps at least as much as your wise advice helped me with this issue. I'm a newcomer to this forum but I'll try to help the community as far as I can on any matter that may come up.

Thank you all guys very much indeed for your collaboration.

My kindest regards.

0 Kudos