VMware Cloud Community
SNordstrom
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to apply "Separate Virtual Machines" DRS rules

I am trying to set up a DRS rule using the "Separate Virtual Machines" type, but every time I create/check it and "OK" out of the cluster settings dialog, the rule gets unchecked.  All other rules (which are the "Run VMs on Hosts" type) stay checked and work fine.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Welcome....

Check if you configured fine a DRS Group and Rule.

Read this step by step http://www.petri.co.il/host-drs-affinity-rules-vsphere-4-1.htm

Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

Mauro Bonder - Moderator

LinkedIn
*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
SNordstrom
Contributor
Contributor

This link appears to just cover affinity rules ("Run VMs on Hosts") which I already use and which are working fine.  It's the "Separate Virtual Machines" rules that don't "stick".

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

In DRS Group manager you need createa  Pool of hosts that go participate of this rule, and of virtual machines. And in rule, you´ll select this group and virtual machine group that you create and put a rule. Keep Separated.

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
SNordstrom
Contributor
Contributor

When you select the type as "Separate Virtual Machines" it does not ask you to put in a Cluster VM Group and Cluster Host Group, it just asks you for the two VMs you want to keep separate.  There is no way to enter any Host Groups or VM Groups, nor would it really make sense to do so for a Separate rule.

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

1. Edit Settings in your Cluster >Rules > add > Put a name > ype = Separate Virtual Machines > add virtual machines > OK

Check if two this virtual machines are separated before create a rule

0 Kudos
SNordstrom
Contributor
Contributor

The rule creates successfully as per my attached screenshot, but it unchecks automatically when I hit OK on the dialog.  I double checked that the VMs are separated before I created it too, but it still won't stay checked.

0 Kudos