VMware Cloud Community
mats82
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to apply DRS resources. Insufficient CPU resources

Hi there,

I'm running 4 hosts in a cluster using DRS and HA. What seems to be at random occasions, one host gets the red alert and says it has insufficient CPU resources to satisfy DRS.

Occasionally when i select to reconfigure for HA it comes back to normal but most times not. If i leave the issue, it will then disappear from the host in the cluster and then appear on another host?

3 hosts in the cluster are running 8 cpu's with 32gB RAM, but one is a lower spec running 2 cpu's with 8gB RAM. DRS is set to fully automated. I have one SMP VM as well (multi cpu's).

Can anyone give me some info on what i need to do to clear up this issue? Should i change the one VM with 2 cpu's back to 1 as i know it doesn't need 2 and is wasting CPU resources? VIC 3 doesn't seem to be too helpful with the help files....

Thanks in advance Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
8 Replies
mats82
Contributor
Contributor

sorry, i forgot to mention...

i'm running 2 resource pools with fixed reservation types. The vm's are only using around 10-20% cpu and memory in each pool so it's not being overloaded...

0 Kudos
williambishop
Expert
Expert

Do you have limits on the pool? Or does one pool have a reservation that would preclude it from giving more juice to the other?

Do you have any affinity settings on the vm's?(i.e.,this vm and this one must remain together)

Things to check, but I'm guessing a config problem.

--"Non Temetis Messor."
0 Kudos
mats82
Contributor
Contributor

thanks for the reply,

The resource pools are set to "fixed" type so yes they have limits. The VM's inside the pool are not even close to the limits so it does sound like some congif issue.

There are no affinity rules set, it's in fully automated mode.

Every search i do only comes back with HA failover issues, i can't seem to find much on DRS issues??

0 Kudos
williambishop
Expert
Expert

Make sure with limits, you also don't have reservations in conflict. If the reservations overlap, you might also see this. Is there a reason you're doing resource pools with what seem to be a small number of vm's? I know it's normally done, but sometimes it's just easier to go with simplicity.

--"Non Temetis Messor."
0 Kudos
mats82
Contributor
Contributor

i had a 500mhz reservation on the cpu for the 2 resource pools so i have removed that and i'll see if the problem diffuses. Only problem with that is that i can't seem to add more VM's unless i up the cpu reservation hmm....

Basically certain workgroups in my dept have paid for x amount of CPU and memory, hence the resource pools with fixed limits so they can't use more than what they have paid for Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
mats82
Contributor
Contributor

i had a 500mhz reservation on the cpu for the 2 resource pools so i have removed that and i'll see if the problem diffuses. Only problem with that is that i can't seem to add more VM's unless i up the cpu reservation hmm....

Basically certain workgroups in my dept have paid for x amount of CPU and memory, hence the resource pools with fixed limits so they can't use more than what they have paid for Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
williambishop
Expert
Expert

Then it sounds like you have reservations on the vm's themselves. Although the vm's might not be using all of the resources reserved, if you have reserved all of the resources, the result is the same....That's if you even have reservations set. Remember that a reservation is a guarantee, if you guarantee it so much resources and the hardware wont' support anymore, it will give you an error.

--"Non Temetis Messor."
0 Kudos
mats82
Contributor
Contributor

all VM's have 0 reservation, i've gone thru and double checked that. The red alert has disappeared today, will most likely come back to annoy me in a few more days... grrr

It's only really Load Balancing which i could set up to manual but it's just getting a little annoying!

0 Kudos