VMware Cloud Community
sfortuna74
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to add disk to a VM now that Linked Mode is running - 4.0 vs 4.1 issue?

Hello -

Two days ago I enabled Linked Mode between our site in Europe, which is running vCenter 4.1, and the US, which is running vCenter 4.0 Update 2. The US vCenter is the "primary". A colleage of mine ran into an issue yesterday when he was trying to add a disk to a VM in the US Datacenter and was unable to do so.

The error seems to center around the fact that everyone was forced to upgrade their vSphere client to 4.1 as soon as Linked Mode was enabled - the 4.1 client seems to have a problem looking at the 4.0 vcenter... We are able to "work around" this by using a 4.0 vSphere client to connect directly to the ESX 4.0 host which holds the vm, and can successfully add a disk through those means.

The error message thru the vsphere 4.1 client reads as follows -

"Could not load file or assembly 'Vmware.Custom.Controls, Version=4.0.0.2, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7c80a434483c7c50' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified".

My biggest concern is that I will have to upgrade my US Production vCenter to 4.1 - this is a very controlled enviroment, and therefore the change would be difficult to be approved. If anyone can help in any way, the assistance would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

you may try the resolution listed in the below KB article to see if that helps resolve your issue

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1024493