VMware Cloud Community
Kindred_VMSuppo
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to VMotion between HP Blade Servers

The CPU of the host is incompatible with the CPU feature requirements of virtual machine; problem detected at CPUID level 0x1 register 'ecx'.

I have 2 of the exact same model HP Blade servers (HP BL460c) that will only vmotion one direction.

One has a processor type of Intel Xeon CPU E5335 @ 2.0GHz

The other is: Intel Xeon CPU E5405 @ 2.0GHz.

What gives? I have seen other posts about setting ecx but the code posted did not allow me to vmotion.

HELP!

Adam Haysley

Kindred Healthcare

VMUG Louisville Leader

0 Kudos
11 Replies
SpencerLail
Contributor
Contributor

Did you go into the BIOS of the machine that won't Vmotion and make sure you set the CPU to be VM capable? Right off the top of my noggin, I can't remember the exact place, but having had the exact same issue on BL680's and 460's this resolved it.

0 Kudos
Kindred_VMSuppo
Contributor
Contributor

They vmotioned to the new machines but will not vmotion back to the older (by 6 months) machines. Apparently there is enough of a difference in the cpu's that this won't happen. Others have posted the exposed NSX flags but they did not work or I did something wrong.

0 Kudos
SpencerLail
Contributor
Contributor

That is strange, because the underlying code between those chips is the same...

They will be able to move it, but if that setting within the bios for the chip isn't set it won't come back (Is what I believe happened to me). So you may just want to reboot that ESX server, check the BIOS setting for the procs and make sure that setting is enabled.

0 Kudos
glynnd1
Expert
Expert

I echo Spencer's BIOS suggestion. We brought some identical servers on-line but had forgotten to enable VT on the CPUs, but only the Solaris VMs complained about it.

edit:

Checking Dell's CPU VMotion chart (http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/solutions/vmotion_compatiblity_matix.pdf see page 4) it does show that the VMotion is not possible between the 5300 and the 5400.

0 Kudos
alaustin
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I came across a similar issue, what I suggest is to download an Intel software from this link, (bootable version)

Extract package and create bootable floppy or cd, and then boot servers with this bootable media. You can then compare both servers CPU information and verify that both have similar settings configured or then from the links below confirm if they are VMotion compatible,

Rgds,

AL B

0 Kudos
Kindred_VMSuppo
Contributor
Contributor

Ok. I have found the Nx flag. SSE4.1 Feature code.

Level 1 - ecx - -

-

-

0--- -

-

-

-

Adam Haysley

Kindred Healthcare

VMUG Louisville Leader

0 Kudos
vmrulz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

"VMotion is not possible between the 5300 and the 5400"

Oh wow.. another reason to stay away from Intel CPU's.

0 Kudos
stkr74
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Ok. I have found the Nx flag. SSE4.1 Feature code.

Level 1 - ecx - ---- ---- ---- 0--- ---- ---- ---- ----

Adam Haysley

Kindred Healthcare

VMUG Louisville Leader

this flags are only working for 32-Bit Windows, right? Do you have ever tested them for a 64-Bit VM?

I've the issue between two DL380 G5 Servers: one with Intel Xeon 5430 and the other with Intel Xeon 5345.

Can anybody post the flags for a 64-Bit VM please?

Greetz

0 Kudos
Kindred_VMSuppo
Contributor
Contributor

The flag works for the Intel Xeon processors (I have both 32 and 64 bit vm's). If you are unable to vmotion 64-bit vm's then you need to go in to the bios of the target server and make sure that the Intel Virtualization is enabled.

Adam Haysley

Kindred Healthcare

VMUG Louisville Leader

0 Kudos
etamir
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks,

tried and it works well!

0 Kudos
stkr74
Contributor