vCenter

View Only
  • 1.  Unable to Deploy VM from Template using Customization Wizard.

Posted Nov 20, 2007 09:59 PM

Hello all. I am unable to deploy a new VM from a template using the Customization Wizard. The deployment gets about 96% on the progress bar in the VI task pane and then quits with an error stating "The virtual machine has no virtual disks that are suitable for customization." On the Virtual Center server, 2 application events were generated by vmount2.exe. The first error was "last partition extends past end of disk (1566:1565)" and the second was "Vmount2.Vmount2Disk2: Cannot access layout on disk." I am able to deploy this VM just fine without customization. I've been able to deploy a VM from another template built with the same OS (Windows Server 2003 SP1) using the Customization Wizard so I know that our sysprep files are in the correct location on our Virtual Center server. I believe I know what is causing this but I don't know how to fix it. I had read the document titled NETWORK APPLIANCE AND VMWARE VIRTUAL INFRASTRUCTURE 3 STORAGE BEST PRACTICES () so I used diskpart on a Windows PE disk to create the primary partitions on both VM hard disks (12GB OS and 4GB temp data) with the command "create primary partition align=32". I am thinking that the Customization Wizard is trying to mount the drives using vmount2.exe and is seeing a partition that's too long. Has anyone else seen something like this in the past? Any ideas? Thanks.

Our Virtual Infrastructure environment is ESX 3.02 update 1 running on Dell PE 6850s and Virtual Center 2.02 update 1 running on a Dell PE 2850 with the SAN being IBM model n5200 running Data ONTAP 7.2.

Additional Information - Answers to questions raised by Nautilus

1. Are you using VCB on virtual virtual center server? No, VCB is not installed on the VC server. Once again, we have a template of the same OS and SP level without the specially formatted hard drives has been used to deploy VMs and customization wizard worked for that deployment. That successfull deployment happened after my first unsuccessfull deployment with customization with this new template and before my last unsuccessfull deployment of this new template.

2. Do you check the log files of virtual center? The errors I saw in dialog boxes "The virtual machine has no virtual disks that are suitable for customization" were recorded as events that I can see in the VI Client 2.0 past events when connected to the VC server. Is there another log that I should be checking?

Message was edited by: isuwill

• 2.  RE: Unable to Deploy VM from Template using Customization Wizard.

Posted Nov 20, 2007 10:21 PM

are you using VCB on virtual virtual center server ?

its sound thant VCenter is not able to mount and customize the template after the deployment. and vcenter vcb are using mounter and booth of this are not kompatibel on the same Mashine ?

Do you check the log files of virtual center ?

Kind regards

Nautilus

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points