VMware Cloud Community
jwbrown77
Contributor
Contributor

Unable To Start VMware VirtualCenter Server Service - Heartbeat Port?

Hello,

I have been unable to start my previously functioning vCenter service for a while.  I had not run any updates or anything, it just seemed to stop working one day.

All services start except the VirtualCenter Server service itself.  I have narrowed it down to what seems to be a problem with the heartbeat in the vpxd.log (excerpt):

[2011-01-19 16:36:25.204 03160 error 'Heartbeat'] Failed to wait for heartbeat socket: 10038
[2011-01-19 16:36:25.204 03160 warning 'Libs'] ASSERT d:/build/ob/bora-258672/bora/vpx/vpxd/vpxdHeartbeat.cpp:283
[2011-01-19 16:36:25.204 03160 info 'App'] Initiating VMware VirtualCenter shutdown

A netstat -na indicates that port 10038 is not open on the system, meaning it shouldn't be conflicting with any other service that might be trying to use that port.

I have tried:

• Uninstalling vCenter and re-installing it (version=4.0.0, build=build-258672, option=Release), but keeping the SQL Server 2005 database installed locally on the machine.  Still does the same thing.
  • Changing the user the service starts as (System currently, but tried administrator user as well).  No change.
  • Restarting, etc.

System is running Windows XP SP3 with all patches applied.

I'm attaching my vpxd.log and netstat output.

Couldn't find anyone on Google with this problem, so hopefully someone has some insight.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

you don't have IIS on this box do you?

0 Kudos
jwbrown77
Contributor
Contributor

No, IIS is not installed on this system.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

Windows XP Pro 32bit?  Also, why as desktop OS?

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r40/vsp_compatibility_matrix.pdf

0 Kudos
jwbrown77
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, 32 bit.

XP because I had licenses for it and it was on the comaptibility list (on page 18 of your link).  I understand that 4.1 is not compatible with XP, but I have not upgraded to it yet.

It worked for about a year before I started having this trouble.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
tkutil
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Are you running SQL Express by chance? I know there is a problem with the services not starting after restart and they need to be started manually.

0 Kudos
jwbrown77
Contributor
Contributor

I do run SQL Express 2005, but I know of the issue you speak of and I set up the VMware services to wait for SQL Server to start before starting.

Regardless, I have also tried stopping and starting the services manually in the correct order, and still doesn't work.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
jwbrown77
Contributor
Contributor

It seems as though there is no solution to this problem outside of a full wipe and re-install, probably on a Server based OS now that 4.1 isn't supported on XP.

Does anyone know if it is difficult to un-register ESXi nodes from the old, now non-existant vCenter server and join them to the new vCenter installation?  Any gotchas I should watch out for?

Thanks.

0 Kudos