VMware Cloud Community
jsmackle
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Two vCenters one SQL Server

So I have a view environment and a server environment both have there own vcenter. I would like to have them both run from the same SQL Server. Anyone done this before or know of a procedure to follow?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
masudhussain
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

yes you can try this, it seems to be work.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
masudhussain
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi, if your sql server has enough resource thn you can create different database for both of your vcentre.

Lets say you have two Vcentre, VC1 and VC2. in sql server create data base as VC1_DB and VC2_DB and connect the same at the time vcentre installation accordingly.

0 Kudos
jsmackle
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

okay my vcenters already exist do I just create the DB's and restore the backup from the SQL Express version and point it to the new server?

0 Kudos
masudhussain
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

yes you can try this, it seems to be work.

0 Kudos
nirvy
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

It will work, but bear in mind you will need to manually create the SQL Agent rollup Jobs (if you don't vCenter DB will keep growing).  - check out this KB: http://kb.vmware.com/kb/7960893

jsmackle
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

okay so this to the letter... I am stuck re-installing my vcenter server and it is having issues at the Single Sign it tells me it cannot find it.

Cannot connect to the vCenter Single Sign on... I did not move or touch that data base.

0 Kudos
masudhussain
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

for single sign on you need to make sure to take backup of old database of sso and also the configuration backup which can be taken by the script available in VC server.

0 Kudos
masudhussain
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

whenever you run that scrit to take configuration back of sso , it will create  file in your vc desktop

0 Kudos
nirvy
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Check the SSO logs, it might not be running (note: I have seen SSO fail even though services.msc says it is running) - http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2033430

0 Kudos
jsmackle
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So ues I looked into the logs and found the previous setting of SSO. Everything responded and work after that.

0 Kudos