VMware Cloud Community
NJKwork
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Two questions regarding upgrading VC 2.02 to 2.5

Hi,

Two questions:

1) Our current VC server is 5 years old and we will be replacing it this year. I would like to take the new server we purchase and install a clean copy of VC 2.5 on it, but point it to our existing 2.02 database (on Oracle) during the install so that it updates the DB to the new version, but from a new clean install. Obviously I would shutdown the old VC server during this upgrade. Is this feasable? Or do I need to do the upgrade from a server already running 2.02?

2) We don't plan on upgrading our ESX servers for a while, so they will remain at 3.02. Can VC 2.5 manage a complete 3.02 environment, or do I need some/all ESX 3.5 hosts. I realize I might not get some of the new features of 2.5 when pointing to the older 3.02 servers. But I want to make sure all the normal functionality I have today would still work (vmotion, templates, etc.) until we get a chance to upgrade to 3.5 on the ESX hosts.

Any input for either or both of the questions would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You will be able to upgrade the DB when you do the install on the new server. Your ESX hosts will refer to the VC server that manages them by IP address, so ideally if you could use the same IP address for you new VC server that'll make the transition less problematic.

VC 2.5 is able to support ESX 3.0.x hosts. The latest patches are recommended.

http://www.vmware.com/pdf//vi3_35/esx_3/r35/vi3_35_25_compat_matrix.pdf

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You will be able to upgrade the DB when you do the install on the new server. Your ESX hosts will refer to the VC server that manages them by IP address, so ideally if you could use the same IP address for you new VC server that'll make the transition less problematic.

VC 2.5 is able to support ESX 3.0.x hosts. The latest patches are recommended.

http://www.vmware.com/pdf//vi3_35/esx_3/r35/vi3_35_25_compat_matrix.pdf

0 Kudos
NJKwork
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you sir!

0 Kudos
NJKwork
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Another question. I do not understand this statement from the PDF you pointed me to:

The first time you try to connect from VI Client 2.5 to an ESX Server 3.0.x, a 2.0.x VI client is downloaded and installed on the VI host. For all subsequent connections, VMware determines which version of VI Client must be used and opens the correct one.

Does this mean, if I connect directly to the ESX 3.02 server (bypassing connecting the VC server) it will use a VC 2.02 client. Or it always uses a 2.02 client to connect (direct to ESX or VC). If that latter, it conflicts with a later table that says the 2.02 client is incompatible with VI 2.5:

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can have both the VI 2.5 and 2.0.2 client installed at the same time. If you have the VI 2.5 client installed on a PC and that is connecting to VC 2.5 that's all that will be used. But if one day you decide to connect directly to an ESX 3.0.2 host, the VI 2.5 client will download the VI 2.0.2 client from the host and install it on your PC. You'll then connect to the ESX 3.0.2 host with the VI 2.0.2 client. The next time you start the VI 2.5 client and try to connect to a ESX 3.0.2 host, it will switch over to the 2.0.2 client automatically.

NJKwork
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hey, thanks for all the help. That's basically what I thought, but glad for the verification.

Have a good weekend.

0 Kudos