VMware Cloud Community
bdowell
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Two issues... reset local admin (VSphere 6.5) and VMWare Updates not working...

One thing leads to another it seems...

I inherited responsibility for a VSphere installation that I've only been able to work on occasionally.  Regardless of that limitation (which I admit is compounding things), I'm trying to work through a few issues.

I did an upgrade to VCenter to 6.5 (from, if memory serves, a 6.0 version that was flagged for needing security updates).  That upgrade went just fine, vSphere is operational, but now everything is done through the vSphere Web Client.  I don't mind that though it is becoming apparent that my account doesn't have all of the permission I would expect it to have and seem to need it to have in some areas.

I had also added in or was finding in the install the piece I was most interested in getting operational - VMWare Update Manager.  Yay, or, uh, not...

In trying to get updates to work, I'm getting a note saying the host can't connect to download content.  I've confirmed firewalls or not interfering but am still not getting there.  Searching through articles, it seems the issue would be that the host isn't configured properly for DNS.  OK, I start looking to check the hosts configuration and seem to be finding I don't have enough rights on my own named account to do that configuration or at least I'm not finding where that configuration is done through the vSphere Web Client *when I am logged in with my named account*.

So... two issues, one, I need to reset the local admin password and two, I'd like to get VMWare Update Manager functioning.  I'm hopeful that once I could check the DNS configuration on the host, I'd find the source of my issue for that part.  But the local admin issue is driving me crazy.  I followed instructions that I found in articles here to use the tool (vdcadmintool) to take care of that process.  I fire up that tool, see numbered menu.  Choose 3 "Reset Account Password".  It prompts for account UPN.  I enter in administrator@vsphere.local but that is apparently not what is being sought or at least that has no effect that I can see except to result in this message:

Please enter account UPN : administrator@vsphere.local

VmDirForceResetPassword failed (9106)

For the record, the system I'm working on is a participant in a domain where I am not a domain administrator.  I am an administrator of the server (which is a member server in the domain).

If any other information is needed to help troubleshoot this issue, please advise and I'll add in what I can.

Thanks for any assistance that can be lent here.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bdowell
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

In the words of Emily Latella... never mind...

I found solutions and/or the info for both of the issues, and while I'd like to curse VMWare a little, I understand the issues now.

Going through the Flash console I wasn't seeing all of the Administration area.  Going through the HTML console, I wasn't seeing all of the Update Manager area.  Gee, so simple, right?!

Anyway, when I got into the Admin area I could see and confirm the user base and found the right name for the local administrator.

On the Update manager front, I found a note that told me to change the network information for the Update Manager connection.  I changed from the system hostname to the actual IP address of the VCenter server and that got things working as expected.

Yay, both problems solved!  Persistence paid off.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
bdowell
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

In the words of Emily Latella... never mind...

I found solutions and/or the info for both of the issues, and while I'd like to curse VMWare a little, I understand the issues now.

Going through the Flash console I wasn't seeing all of the Administration area.  Going through the HTML console, I wasn't seeing all of the Update Manager area.  Gee, so simple, right?!

Anyway, when I got into the Admin area I could see and confirm the user base and found the right name for the local administrator.

On the Update manager front, I found a note that told me to change the network information for the Update Manager connection.  I changed from the system hostname to the actual IP address of the VCenter server and that got things working as expected.

Yay, both problems solved!  Persistence paid off.

0 Kudos