VMware Cloud Community
pkumar11
Contributor
Contributor

Two VM images with same UUID

Hi,

I have a situation where I created a manual copy of the VM image (already part of cluster) XP_VM_1 and made it part of inventory and powered it on. Call it the copied image XP_VM_2.

XP_VM_2 gets the same UUID as XP_VM_1. And both the images are part of the cluster.

Couple of points here -

1.) XP_VM_1 and XP_VM_2 both gets the same UUID.

2.) Both the images get different MAC ID.

3.) I saw the following link which suggests that I shall receive duplicateUUID error when two images with the same UUID is booted -

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100240...

But in my cases both the images can boot.

4.) Instead of manual copy and introducing the image to the cluster, if I perform "Clone..." then the new image gets a new UUID.

So few questions that I have are -

1.) Is manual copy (copying image file) right was to introduce VM into a host? Or, "Clone..." is the right way for image cloning.

2.) Is the nature of UUID static throughout the life cycle of the image? I mean UUID will not change even if the image is moved.

3.) Duplicate UUIDs are a possibility? Is there any additional setting to detect or disallow same UUID VMs from booting (and reporting error).

Last one -

MAC does not seem to be static in nature across boots. Seems like considering UUID as static is a better option than MAC when one needs to identify an image uniquely.

Any feedback well appreciated.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
0 Replies