VMware Cloud Community
mister-ginsu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Two VC 2.5 in one...

Hello forum!

My first post as vmware user :smileygrin:

I have 2 ESX 3.5 Farms on two separate sites (siteA and siteB) through one VC 2.5. Another VC 2.5 hosts one ESX 3.5 farm on siteB only.

My question is :

Is it possible to have the VI client pointing to the two VC in the same time?

It's in case of Disaster Recovery Plan. If one site is down, mounting back all vms (ok they are replicated) is a loss of time.

Thanks a lot for your help,

ginsu mister

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dmaster
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Be aware of the following..

Using Site Recovery Manager will result in setting up two different virtualcenter environments.

Until now there is no way to easily failback your environment after all problems are over.

Hopefully Site Recovery Manager 2.0 will support the campus setup. (if you wan't to use your datacenters as a sort of active active cluster).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
dmaster
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi mister-ginsu,

welcome to the forum..

you can start two or more virtual center clients at the same time.

one client for one virtual center server.

you can also think about setting up a VirtualCenter 2.5 cluster..

0 Kudos
mister-ginsu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hello dmaster,

Thanks for your quick answer.

I guess setting up a VC cluster would be the thing. To go further in my idea, it's about the fastest way to recover the VMs in case of DR.

If one site goes down, is it possible to reconnect the whole VI or do we have to manually reconnect each VM from the vmdk file?

Ginsu mister

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

With out any additional tools - you would have to manually add each VM - Take a look at Site Recovery Manager if you want somethig automated -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
dmaster
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi mister-ginsu,

in my opinion there are two scenarios you can use.

1) remove the failing esx hosts from virtualcenter, failover your storage and register the vitual machines again on a working esx host.

2) make standby virtual machines available on ESX hosts on the DR site and leave them powered off. in case of disaster power on this standby virtual machines.

make sure this is an extra layer of administartion to contain.

p.s. If you think answers from people on the forum are usefull or correct, please award them with points.

dmaster
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Be aware of the following..

Using Site Recovery Manager will result in setting up two different virtualcenter environments.

Until now there is no way to easily failback your environment after all problems are over.

Hopefully Site Recovery Manager 2.0 will support the campus setup. (if you wan't to use your datacenters as a sort of active active cluster).

0 Kudos
mister-ginsu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks guys,

Now I can work this out and have visibility.

See you soon!!

Ginsu mister

0 Kudos