VMware Cloud Community
SomeClown
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Trying to upgrade to newest vCenter Server...

Greetings,

I've used the data migration tool to backup my vcenter server, and am trying to now restore onto a new server in order to facilitate the conversion from 32-bit to 64-bit, go to ESXi on VSphere 5, etc.  Current database is sitting on a SQL 2008 Enterprise server and works great.  I backed it up too.  Smiley Happy

I go through the process of running the restore on the new server, and get to the part where it tries to connect to the database whereby I get the ever-popular error:

1841889.png

The problem is, I've tried with 3 different usernames, including a new one just to make certain I haven't missed anything.  In all cases, the users are domain users and in the database have DBO, sysadmin, etc. to both the Virtual Center database and the MSDB database.  In fact, one user has wide-open permissions to every damned database (this is a named instance server with a lot of databases, so he was just a test).  I still get this error.

DSN is 64-bit, using the SQL native drivers and tests just fine.  Every other database from BES to SharePoint is working great, and even our DBA can't find any problems.  I'm completely stuck here and am looking for options. If need be, I'll even create a new database and migrate this one over if that's easy enough... I just want to get through this @#$@! so I can move on with my life.

Considering the lack of errors on the SQL side, we're wondering if there might be some sort of problem with named instances on the new vcenter?  Or a bug?  We've been running the same configuration for years now and have upgraded with no problems in each case.  This is the first time we're seeing this error and are more than a little bewildered.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
morrisosu
Contributor
Contributor

Sounds like something went amiss with the migration from the 32bit to the 64bit DB.  Does the DSN check out and complete a successful connection?  I'd lean heavily on opening up a support ticket on this one since it sounds like what you are doing is fully supported.

0 Kudos
firestartah
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi

Try create a brand new DB with sufficient privileges and all the right plugins etc and then restore your backup over it. I did the exact same for esx4-4.1 vCentre upgrade and worked a charm.

Regards

Gregg

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Gregg http://thesaffageek.co.uk
0 Kudos