VMware Cloud Community
VTIT
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Trying to update Virtual Center Server

I recently started at a company and have to update their Virtual Center Server they are running version 2.0.1. When I try to download updates VMWares website will not let me. It says I need a license for Virtual Center 2.0. I see that the company has a license for version 1.0 but I don't see a 2.0. Could they have had version 1.0 patched to 2.0.1? How are they able to run version 2.0.1 if they don't have a licesnce for it? How can I move forward with this upgrade. Also I am able to download the updates for ESX just not virtual center server.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ANorton
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I would call VMware and find out who registered your VM products and if the maintenance is still active. Having the license file will help if they can't find you in the database. If you use notepad you can view the license file and it should show you what you are licensed for and have a name associated with it.

Something like this

INCREMENT VC_DAS VMWARELM 2005.05 permanent 4 \

VENDOR_STRING="licenseType=Server;vmodl=das;desc=VMware \

HA;capacityType=cpuPackage" ISSUED=20-Jan-2009 \

NOTICE="FulfillmentId=XXXXXX;name=AARON" TS_OK \

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ANorton
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The only thing I can help with is when there is an upgrade to another version the company is sent an email notifying them of the license upgrade. You will need to login to the license management and check to see if the license is listed for the company and if it has been upgraded as a part of your maintenance agreement with VMware.

On another note is the license used a single license or is it using the licensing server?

0 Kudos
benma
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Maybe your support/subscription isn't valid anymore.

Check your contract or contact your sales rep.

0 Kudos
VTIT
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I think its just a single license how can I tell?

0 Kudos
ANorton
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If you open up the client you should be able to see the licensing. The easy way is to select a host then go to configuration and then select licensing. It shoudl tell you if it is grabbing the license from a license server or not.

If it is using a license server that is your vCenter server so go into the server and go into the vmware programs and you should see a licensing server program you can view your licensing information from.

VTIT
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I can see the .lic file its pointing to any easy way to read the file to get the information I need?

0 Kudos
ANorton
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I would call VMware and find out who registered your VM products and if the maintenance is still active. Having the license file will help if they can't find you in the database. If you use notepad you can view the license file and it should show you what you are licensed for and have a name associated with it.

Something like this

INCREMENT VC_DAS VMWARELM 2005.05 permanent 4 \

VENDOR_STRING="licenseType=Server;vmodl=das;desc=VMware \

HA;capacityType=cpuPackage" ISSUED=20-Jan-2009 \

NOTICE="FulfillmentId=XXXXXX;name=AARON" TS_OK \

0 Kudos