VMware Cloud Community
markwolf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Trying to schedule VUM updates with notification

I want to schedule the ESX updates to be deployed by VUM at night. I have no problems scheduling it to run and it completes successfully. The task runs, puts the server in maintenance mode, vmotions all the VM's, installs the update(s) and reboots. The problem I have is that since I am scheduling this for nightime, I would like a way to have it email me when it completely successfully, or even when it doesn't. I also would like a notification when a VM doesn't VMotion successfully since this would hold up the entire patching process.

BTW, I am running the most recent version of vCenter and vSphere, which I think is 4.0 U1.

Any ideas?

Mark

0 Kudos
3 Replies
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

Currently VUM does not support notifications/email for a remediation. In the scheduled tasks, you can setup email but I just tried to create a dummy remediation and set it in the future and tried to edit the scheduled task to see if I can add email and it wll not let you. This sounds like a feature request

The only thing I can think of is more of a hack to create a script and schedule it to check if there are any recent remediation tasks and see if it was successful or not and send out an email.

=========================================================================

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

VMware ESX/ESXi scripts and resources at:

Twitter: @lamw

VMware Code Central - Scripts/Sample code for Developers and Administrators

VMware Developer Community

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
markwolf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What about an SNMP trap that I can send out and get alerted based on that?

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

Possibly, but I've not looked if there is a specific trap for VUM events or if it'll send everything. You would need to look into it, though I agree, that's a must have feature for remediations that don't take place right away ... guess we can only hope the next version will have this feature

=========================================================================

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

VMware ESX/ESXi scripts and resources at:

Twitter: @lamw

VMware Code Central - Scripts/Sample code for Developers and Administrators

VMware Developer Community

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos