VMware Cloud Community
twoodland
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Trying to hot-clone VM with multiple snapshots

I have a VM with two snapshots. I need to make a clone of this VM, and I want the clone to be based off the current state, not off a previous snapshot or the base disk.

When I attempt to clone, the compatility validation is giving the warning "reverting to snapshot might generate error (warnings) on the destination host."

I'm curious as to what, if anything, will break if I continue with the clone? Again, I'd like the cloned VM to be based off the very latest state of the VM, not off a snapshot or the base disk? I thought this was possible?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lholling
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The reason for the error is that when you clone to another ESX host a snapshot (especially if it includes memory) may not run on the new host because it is based on the current hardware that the VM (at the time the snapshot is taken) is running on possibly not on the one that you revert the snapshot on. Also all of the files that make up the snapshot may not be available on the destination VM.

The best way is to just commit the snapshots and then do it. If that is not possible just clone it and it will be based on the running VM and you will not have any problems.

Leonard...

-

Don't forget if the answers help, award points

---- Don't forget if the answers help, award points

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
lholling
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The reason for the error is that when you clone to another ESX host a snapshot (especially if it includes memory) may not run on the new host because it is based on the current hardware that the VM (at the time the snapshot is taken) is running on possibly not on the one that you revert the snapshot on. Also all of the files that make up the snapshot may not be available on the destination VM.

The best way is to just commit the snapshots and then do it. If that is not possible just clone it and it will be based on the running VM and you will not have any problems.

Leonard...

-

Don't forget if the answers help, award points

---- Don't forget if the answers help, award points
0 Kudos