VMware Cloud Community
retienne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Trouble with Hardware View and Vcenter Service status with 2008R2

Hi everybody,

I have trouble with a new fresh Vcenter server 4.1 on a new physical server running on W2008R2 and with two Esxi 4.1 (583772-007) last build from HP installed on DL380 G7.

I have already spend a couple of hours, searching this forum, but now i'm stucked with this Smiley Sad

I'm using vsphere client on the same machine as vcenter server.

Dns seems to work correctly : ping is working with the short machine name or fqdn.

Windows 2008R2 firewall is deactivated.

IPV6 Is active

UAC is deactivated

The trouble is :

- hardware view : error communicating with the server

- Vcenter Service Status :service unavailable

If i use vsphere client to connect directly to esxi, hardware appear normaly in configuration view.

So i suspect a communication problem between vcenter and esxi.

Any info to see what's happen between them ? log file ?

Thank's

Roland

0 Kudos
13 Replies
retienne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Searching....

The vws.txt file says

Initialized Query Service engine pool with 20 elements.

Unable to retrieve health for component 65E29599-C9C7-4084-9177-649FE3329E87.visvc

Unable to retrieve health for 65E29599-C9C7-4084-9177-649FE3329E87.visvc from https://myvcserver:8443/vws/Query/Health

Unable to retrieve health for 65E29599-C9C7-4084-9177-649FE3329E87.visvc from any of its health URLs

suspecting an incorrect entry in ADAM database ???

11245_11245.PNG

any idea ?

0 Kudos
retienne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Nobody to help me ??? :_|

0 Kudos
Vendis
Contributor
Contributor

I've got same trouble. Last time it happend I followed advice to disable healt status in plug-in manager, restart client, and then enable it again(have you tried this?), but now it doesn't help. Everything looks OK. Client and the server are fully connected, network interface betwen then is not firewall protected on both side... I can't come up with any possible connection error.

0 Kudos
retienne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I will try to reset the plugin next week.

I'll be back to feedback !

Thank's for you post ! Smiley Wink I feel very alone in this virtual world.

0 Kudos
Vendis
Contributor
Contributor

I still don't resolved this trouble, so we can beat it together :smileygrin: There isn't many advices on this issue here. Tomorow I will continue with triyng to resolve:D

0 Kudos
dcouturier
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Wow ! I think I've found how to resolve it. I had same exactly same problem. After one day of debugging !!!!!! It seems to be a problem with jar files of tomcat installation. (directory "C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\tomcat\lib" and "C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\tomcat\bin")

On another successfull installation of vCenter 4.1, I copied the "bin" and "lib" directories and I put them on my faulty installation (after stopping tomcat (vmware webservices) service)

I restart all (vCenter service and webservices) and ... Wow ! it works....Now I'm tired ! 😕

Tell me if it works for you !

PS : I try to upload zip file containing "bin" and "lib" directories

admin
Immortal
Immortal

Excellent work, dcouturier!  This fix worked in resolving my issue.

0 Kudos
retienne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Nice job but i can't do that on my production server now, and i wonder to understand what'is the exact trouble.

It's seems to be a trouble with xhiveConfig Db.

This information is useful so i'll try to investigate this way.

I'll be back if i found something else.

Thanks to you for your debug.

and ...

Merry Christmas  Smiley Wink

R.

0 Kudos
kgottleib
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have the same exact problem, and your resolution worked.  Thanks a bunch.  This is a new installation of vCenter 4.1 on w2003 64bit.  I can't even imagine what went wrong during the installation, but it makes no sense that we should all have this obscure problem.  I installed vCenter fresh on a test VM and then copied the folders over to my production installation.  Ironically, I built the new version using the same iso.  The only thing i did differently was accept the defualt installation path for this new install, my original installation I defined a custom path for vCenter and installed it on a properly aligned datadrive with the pvscsi adaptor.  I wonder if choosing custome installation path had an effect on the installation??  I doubt it, but you never know.  If anyone has any idea what could have happened with all of our Tomcat installs within vCenter please chime in.

0 Kudos
retienne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have found this new kb from vmware : http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=102814...

vCenter Server 4.x Hardware Status Tab displays the error: You do not have  permission to run this command

1. Stop the VMware  VirtualCenter Management Webservices service.

To stop the service: 
    1. Click  Start > Run, type services.msc, and click  OK. The Services window opens.
    2. Right-click VMware  VirtualCenter Management Webservices and click  Stop.

2. Open Windows  Explorer.
  3. Locate and delete the file  %PROGRAMFILES%\VMware\Infrastructure\tomcat\lib\xhiveConfig\data\VcCache-default-0.XhiveDatabase.DB.
  4. Restart the VMware  VirtualCenter Management Webservices service.
  5. Reconnect to vCenter  Server

I'll try this next week.

R.

0 Kudos
kgottleib
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I want to point out that after I resolved this issue with vCenter, other issues were arising.  For example, emails weren't being sent when alerts were triggered and I verified everything according to a KB article VMware has published on the issue.   I finally gave up and re-installed vCenter only to see the same things happening again.  I then decided that I was doing something wrong, and I thought about it, then realized, I installed vCenter from within an RDP session, and not the RPD admin console session.  I then re-installed vCenter from the local console and everything worked like a charm.  I could be wrong, but it appears you vCenter has issues if you install it when in an RDP session.  Not sure if this is related, but it worked for me to do away with the vCenter issues that I has having, including the one in this post.

0 Kudos
Indikae
Contributor
Contributor

This is an issue that nobody has a clue on it. When you have done patch upgrade or version upgrade the tomcat memory pool allocation goes to 0(not sure why). This is where the problem occurs. All you have to do is go to Start, All Programs, VMWare, VMWare Tomcat, and Configure Tomcat. Then go to Tab Java. you will probably see that the Initial memory pool and Maximum memory pool has no value. Insert value to both ex: Initial memory pool- 128MB , Maximum memory pool 1024MB (Depending on your VMware infrastructure). Apply the new settings. Restart vcenter services and check. It will work for sure.

0 Kudos
Indikae
Contributor
Contributor

This is an issue that nobody has a clue on it. When you have done patch upgrade or version upgrade the tomcat memory pool allocation goes to 0(not sure why). This is where the problem occurs. All you have to do is go to Start, All Programs, VMWare, VMWare Tomcat, and Configure Tomcat. Then go to Tab Java. you will probably see that the Initial memory pool and Maximum memory pool has no value. Insert value to both ex: Initial memory pool- 128MB , Maximum memory pool 1024MB (Depending on your VMware infrastructure). Apply the new settings. Restart vcenter services and check. It will work for sure.

0 Kudos