VMware Cloud Community
Guv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thin Provisioning Not Working

I am having some issues converting a disks from thick format to thin format. We have just upgraded to vpshere and we have some few VM's which are not fully utilising their disk space. So i used the migration wizard to convert the disks to thin, but in the datastore they are still allocating the same amount of space. We have an IBM DS4500 fibre SAN where all our datastores are based.

For example, I have a VM which has 2 disks, with disk 1 having 15 GB, but has free space 10GB, and disk 2 which has disk space 30 GB and has free space 25 GB. I used the migration tool to convert these disks to thin, and it completed successfully. When I look at the disk settings of this VM it shows the disk format as Thin. But when I look at the datastore where the disk is stored it shows still as 45 GB being used and also in the summary page of the VM it shows the provisioned storage, not shared storage and used storage as 45 GB. So it seems to be incorrect. Have I missed a step or something, as I thought thin provisioning would reduce space on the datastore. I have also restarted the VM.

Any ideas, Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion

if you browse the datastore and check the vmdk file size, it is still the full size?

Marcelo Soares

VMWare Certified Professional 310/410

Technical Support Engineer

Globant Argentina

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos
Guv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have checked the disk space of the VMDK files and they are still the same space, so thin provisioning has not reduce the disk size files

0 Kudos
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion

You can try doing a defragmentation of your filesystem and after that try the migration again. What filesystem do you have on your VM?

Marcelo Soares

VMWare Certified Professional 310/410

Technical Support Engineer

Globant Argentina

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos
Guv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

its a normal windows 2003 machine with NTFS.

0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello.

Check out this entry over at Duncan's Yellow Bricks for some additional information and/or a possible explanation.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos