VMware Cloud Community
Indalecio_Truji
Contributor
Contributor

There are not enough licenses installed to perform the operation

Setup the virtual client on two machine

On pc1 can add host with out problem, where try to add the host on other pc the followin message is show

"There are not enough licenses installed to perform the operation"

Dettach the host from pc1 and try attach the host on pc2, but the message is show yet.

how can reset the counter for licenses?

0 Kudos
16 Replies
sbeaver
Leadership
Leadership

First are you sure you have enough licenses in your license file? Have you tried restarting the License Server itself?

Steve Beaver
VMware Communities User Moderator
VMware vExpert 2009 - 2020
VMware NSX vExpert - 2019 - 2020
====
Co-Author of "VMware ESX Essentials in the Virtual Data Center"
(ISBN:1420070274) from Auerbach
Come check out my blog: [www.virtualizationpractice.com/blog|http://www.virtualizationpractice.com/blog/]
Come follow me on twitter http://www.twitter.com/sbeaver

**The Cloud is a journey, not a project.**
0 Kudos
luizhbedin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Go to your License Server, and reload you license file. I experieced this problem before.

I reloaded the license file and solve the problem.

0 Kudos
ITThies
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Is this problem already solved?

I have the same problem with our licesing too.

I am sure to have enough licences left but i cannot perform any enterprise operation like HA / DRS / VMotion but we have licensed it!

----- Please feel free so give some points for a correct / helpful answer! Thank you!
0 Kudos
Talisman_House
Contributor
Contributor

We are experiencing the same problem with our VC atm..

I cannot add hosts, even though the Licence server is running and reading the licence file correctly!

I have re-read the licence file and stopped/started the licence service with no luck. Also, restarted the VC Server service and still no luck??

Any suggestions, as this needs to be running obviously and i'll have to re-install the VC as final option!

0 Kudos
Talisman_House
Contributor
Contributor

\

• VC can locate the Hosts and read the VM's running, but cannot Add Hosts..

0 Kudos
1q2w3e4r
Contributor
Contributor

Just had the same issue. I reloaded my license file and it seemed to work. Why is it that the number one cause of my headaches these days are licensing/registration related?

0 Kudos
Talisman_House
Contributor
Contributor

After stopping/starting the Flexlm license and re-reading the license file a couple of times I am again able to add the Hosts...

This has not happened since then again, but removing and re-adding hosts seems to resolve a large majority of the service issues experienced on VC!!

Thanks..

0 Kudos
dcoluzzi
Contributor
Contributor

All I know is this is about the most ridiculous licensing model I have ever seen. A little note to VMware: IT'S NOT THIS FREAKING SERIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 DAYS I have been fighting with this garbage!

I have rebuilt the server, downloaded my license files twice whatever. You name it and I've done it (other than call their support but that's next). I can't add my first host no matter what I do. This makes me so mad I'm about ready to RMA this garbage and buy Xen!

0 Kudos
lbourque
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

This is going to sound odd but can you try something: go to /etc/hosts on the ESX server you want to add and edit the line with the FQDN for the hostname in it, putting in the short name. Then try to add it.

Let me know if that works.

0 Kudos
Talisman_House
Contributor
Contributor

dcoluzzi

Try this - Under the host Configuration tab goto the Security Profile properties and add the NFS Client (tick box)

This will allow you to change the licence. I sat with this issue for ages and it is that easy...

0 Kudos
Brock
Contributor
Contributor

I've been fighting the same thing myself. Its happened twice now where I can't add a host to VC, where it tells me there aren't enough licenses. The only solution I've found so far is to reinstall ESX on the machine that I can't add VC. The problem begins when I down the VC and then down the ESX host. When the host comes back it can't contact the VC so it doesn't have licenses and therefore can't power on the VM that hosts the VC. I delete the original license file from the web and pull in a single host file to get an ESX host and VC back up. I then recreate the license file again for VC and thats when the problems begin. The first time I did this it was on accident, the second it was on purpose to see how easy/dificult it is to recover when the virtual center on a VM goes down along with my ESX Hosts. VC lists that I have enough licenses, but it still gives the same message.

I've talked to VMware techs 4 different times in the past week and a half and they have come up with no solutions (aside from reinstalling ESX). Here is a list of things I've done

Installed newest version of VC, new database

Upgraded to ESX 3.0.2 (ive had both an 3.0.2 ESX host AND a 3.0.1 ESX host experience this problem)

Restarted VC, recreated the license file, started/stopped the license service, re/read the license file, ran the license file through vmware's license fix

Restarted the vmware-vpxa service

Restarted the mgmt-vmware service

Deleted the VC user account "Userdel vpxuser"

Ran these two commands (not sure what they do but hey im desperate) "rpm -qa | grep vpx" and "rpm -e VMware-vpxa"

I'm going to reinstall ESX on the faulty machine this weekend and I'm fairly confident that its going to resolve the problem. It makes running the VC on a VM much less feasable when you only have 2 hosts, because its not completely unlikely that both hosts could be down at the same time at some point in the future. If that ever happens the problems I've had with VC will probably start all over!

0 Kudos
Dewy
Contributor
Contributor

tail -f /var/log/vmware/host-d

tail -f /var/log/vmware/vpx/vpxa

What error msgs do can we see? any thing about backing error?

Remove host from VC, connect directly to host via VIC

Unlicence host (via direct connect)

Restart VC server

Restart Licence server, re-read licence file

Restart mgmt-vmware

Re-add host to VC..

What do the logs show?

0 Kudos
Brock
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your response. I followed your steps and still was unable to add the host. Here is part of the hostd log on the esx server running VC. I left most of it there not knowing what to cut out.

00600000-006dd000 r-xp 00000000 08:02 464209 /lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.7arno: -5

Minor errno: 412

System errno: 0

Feature name: ESX_FULL_BACKUP

Context:

No such feature exists.

Feature: ESX_FULL_BACKUP

License path: 27000@10.66.6.200

FLEXnet Licensing error:-5,412

For further information, refer to the FLEXnet Licensing End User Guide,

available at "www.macrovision.com".

QueryAvailability: Availability for feature : esxExpress : Total : 0 : InUse : 0

GetCost: Getting Cost for costUnit : cpuPackage.

GetCost: Cost for costUnit : cpuPackage is 2.

QueryAvailability: Querying availability for feature : esxFull

QueryFeature: Querying for feature : esxFull

QueryAvailability: Availability for feature : esxFull : Total : 4 : InUse : 2

QueryAvailability: Querying availability for feature : iscsi

QueryFeature: Querying for feature : iscsi

VMLicense_GetInfo: feature not found: 'PROD_ISCSI' v2005.05

ProcessErrorStatus: Unable to GetCounts for 'iscsi' feature : Status : 3 : Message : Major errno: -5

Feature name: PROD_ESX_FULL

Context:

No such feature exists.

Feature: PROD_ESX_FULL

QueryAvailability: Availability for feature : iscsi : Total : 0 : InUse : 0

QueryAvailability: Querying availability for feature : nas

QueryFeature: Querying for feature : nas

VMLicense_GetInfo: feature not found: 'PROD_NAS' v2005.05

ProcessErrorStatus: Unable to GetCounts for 'nas' feature : Status : 3 : Message : Major errno: -5

Context:

No such feature exists.

QueryAvailability: Availability for feature : nas : Total : 0 : InUse : 0

QueryAvailability: Querying availability for feature : san

QueryFeature: Querying for feature : san

VMLicense_GetInfo: feature not found: 'PROD_SAN' v2005.05

ProcessErrorStatus: Unable to GetCounts for 'san' feature : Status : 3 : Message : Major errno: -5

Context:

No such feature exists.

QueryAvailability: Availability for feature : san : Total : 0 : InUse : 0

QueryAvailability: Querying availability for feature : vsmp

QueryFeature: Querying for feature : vsmp

VMLicense_GetInfo: feature not found: 'PROD_VSMP' v2005.05

ProcessErrorStatus: Unable to GetCounts for 'vsmp' feature : Status : 3 : Message : Major errno: -5

Context:

No such feature exists.

QueryAvailability: Availability for feature : vsmp : Total : 0 : InUse : 0

RecurrentAvailableRefreshes: Auto-Refresh License Source available...

Propagating stats from interval 20 to 300

ClearAll: Attempting to clear all features and reservations

ClearAll: Cleared all features and reservations

CloseConnection: Closing Connection for source.

CloseConnection: Disconnected from source.

InitConection: for mode : server and path : 27000@10.66.6.200, Retry Interval : -1, Count : -1

AcquireAll: Attempting to acquire licenses for edition: , features :

AcquireAll: No edition configured!

RecurrentAvailableRefreshes: Auto-Refresh License Source available Done

Accepted authd connection from: 10.66.6.200:1119

Task Created : haTask--vim.SessionManager.login-3364

Event 41 : User root@10.66.6.200 logged in

Task Completed : haTask--vim.SessionManager.login-3364

Retrieved current power state from foundry 1

Retrieved Summary info

Event 42 : User root logged out

Removed vmdb connection /db/connection/#15/

Accepted authd connection from: 10.66.6.200:1121

Task Created : haTask--vim.SessionManager.login-3369

Event 43 : User root@10.66.6.200 logged in

Task Completed : haTask--vim.SessionManager.login-3369

Task Created : haTask-ha-folder-root-vim.host.LocalAccountManager.createUser-3370

Task Completed : haTask-ha-folder-root-vim.host.LocalAccountManager.createUser-3370

Activation : Invoke done on

Throw vim.fault.AlreadyExists

Result:

(vim.fault.AlreadyExists) {

name = "vpxuser"

msg = ""

}

Task Created : haTask-ha-folder-root-vim.host.LocalAccountManager.updateUser-3371

Task Completed : haTask-ha-folder-root-vim.host.LocalAccountManager.updateUser-3371

Task Created : haTask--vim.AuthorizationManager.setEntityPermissions-3372

Task Completed : haTask--vim.AuthorizationManager.setEntityPermissions-3372

: User vpxuser

Event 44 : User root logged out

Removed vmdb connection /db/connection/#16/

Default resource used for 'FirewallInfo.activeDirectorKerberos.label' expected in module 'host'.

Default resource used for 'FirewallInfo.kerberos.label' expected in module 'host'.

Hw info file: /etc/vmware/hostd/hwInfo.xml

Config target info loaded

HaAppModelProvider::GetDynamicType Failed to resolve 176

Activation : Invoke done on

Throw vmodl.fault.ManagedObjectNotFound

Result:

(vmodl.fault.ManagedObjectNotFound) {

obj = 'vim.VirtualMachine:176'

msg = ""

}

Retrieved Summary info

0 Kudos
Brock
Contributor
Contributor

I resolved the problem by upgrading the faulty server to 3.0.2. I don't know what fixed it, whether it was a bug that was resolved, or whether corrupt files were overwritten but it works 😛

0 Kudos
Albany_Area_VMW
Contributor
Contributor

I hope this can help you. I am running VC 2.0.2 and ESX 3.0.2 Enterprise Edition. I had a similar issue with my VC server giving me the "There are not enough licenses installed to perform the operation" error message, but only when I attempted to connect to a remote host, on a different subnet (I was able to connect to a host on my local subnet with no problems). At first, I thought is was a firewall issue, so I opened all ports between my VC server and my remote host. However, even after doing this I continued to get the same error message. I then registered an evaluation license of ESX 3.x Enterprise Edition (16 CPUs) and appended this evaluation licenses to my original .lic file. After doing the license service restart and license re-read, I was miraculously able to connect to my remote hosts! This did not make any sense to me, since I already had enough purchased licenses to begin with, and from what I understand, you don't need anything except a VC license to actually make the connection to a host, local or remote. Here's the really weird part. When I put my original .lic file back on the license server (restarting the license service & doing a re-read & verifying that I had only purchased license quantities available), I was still able to connect to my remote hosts. So...it seems, on the surface, that the act of installing a .lic file containing evaluation licenses and purchased licenses on my license server eliminated the dreaded error message and allowed me to make the connection to my remote hosts. There is no error message, even after re-installing my original .lic file.

0 Kudos
Brock
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the response, I'll definately keep in mind. The biggest lesson I've learned is to put virtual center on a physical machine. That way I never have to worry about the possibility of having the SAN and an ESX server down which in the past has caused this license battle.

0 Kudos