When running VI Client 4 or 4 U1, on Vista SP1 x64, I get the following error message.
The type initializer for threw an exception for 'VirtualInfrastructure.Utils.ClientsXml' threw an exception.
and the VI Client exists.
Any ideas, I've found similiar with users running on Windows 7, I've followed those treads, but it still gives me the error message, VI Client used to work, but has stopped.
there was a M$ .net patch that broke the vSphere Client. It may be worth looking at the KB article below
The below KB article may be worth looking into as well and it references the above KB
yes, I I know you are running U1. However, it may not hurt to check to see if the .net patch has been installed onto your workstation, and either remove it or look into the workaround posted in the second KB. Or if all else fails, have to tried to re-install the client?
Vista Enterprise and Business x64 are the only compatible Vista x64 OS's that will work with the vSphere4 Client. I'd have to assume you are running one of the two
yep, Business x64, it's weird because it used to work, and has just stopped recently. in May 2010. I've just been picking up my netbook or laptop to manage clients and our ESXi farms.
it's just my workstation has a much larger screen and quad desktops! (for multiple VM working!)
You might want to look into KB980773 and remove it or get the latest vSphere client which should fix this problem. Please look at my following post for more details:
I hope this help some one, if it does please reward points.
System X & Storage Technical Specialist
Founder of http://www.VirtualizationTeam.com
This issue has returned. I'm running the newest version of vSphere (downloaded and reinstalled today). My x64 Win7 box started generating this error last week, possibly due to MS updates, but I haven't been able to narrow it down.
Any help would be much appreciated.
I was also having this problem and after much research it appears that this is a very wide spread sporadic issue and it isn't always the same cause. What I have found is you may also get this same error on Windows 7 using client 5.1 and it is being caused by the UAC, so you can either turn UAC off (if allowed by your company policy) or you can "run as administrator" everytime you need to launch vSphere. Hope this helps.
Strange, . it works for me. hmmm ...
Even if you re install the vSphere Client ?
Are you full admin of your PC ? Did you try with a new user profile on your machine ? Maybe a beginning of a Corruption profile and you loose rights on folders. Try this and let me know. 🙂
Yes, full Admin rights on PC, happens with all profiles, profiles are not corrupted. All Admin users that log on...
oh yes, re-installed the vSphere Client, on 5.5 now, and still the same, after every new client comes out, we uninstall and re-install in hope one day, it will be fixed.
I seemed to remember ths happened after a bunch of Windows updates, a long time ago, we use vSphere Client remotely now, and it's going away now with 5.5./Web Client....
thanks for trying, many VMware Admins have spent many hours over the years, in their "spare time" trying to fix, with no solution yet!
One day the PC will be retired, but not yet..