VMware Cloud Community
Elvar
Contributor
Contributor

The remote name could not be resolved error when I want to install a plugin

For the first time google has failed me so I turn to you.

We did a fresh install of our Virtual Center 2.5 instead of upgrading from 2.0 and everything has been going fine. Now we have started to play with the plugin manager but are getting no where.

In the plugin manager on the virtual center vm it self it shows the Update manager and the Converter. When we click download and install we get this error.

Plugin Installer Error

The remote name could not be resolved: 'srvvm'

That srvvm name is a name for an old server (used to run VMware Server) that was left in our dns but currently the machine behind that name is our AntiVirus machine. I do not understand why the plugin manager wants to talk to that server.

We also have another virtual center machine running in a small test envirment and there the plugin manager works as it should.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Elvar
Contributor
Contributor

solved Smiley Happy

dns error

When the Virtual Center was first set up the computer name was wrong, it was called srvvm. After the install the computer name was renamed to srvvc, but somewhere in the software it still thinks its called srvvm. Buggy but possible to work around.

0 Kudos
JDLangdon
Expert
Expert

I wish I could give you some points for this as I had the same problem until I read your answer.

Jason D. Langdon

This space is for rent.

0 Kudos
markb08
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos