VMware Cloud Community
billz0r
Contributor
Contributor

The license key file is empty

I'm a bit of a noob with ESX and have obtained our Partner NFR copies. When starting Virtual Center client I'm prompted for my license file. I browse to the file (stored locally) and it gives me an error "The license key file is empty". I've tried renaming the .lic file to .txt, I've tried renaming it to vmware.lic (instead of vmwaresoftware.lic. I've tried putting my activation code into a text file. Nothing works.

The VC client and server are the same machine. The license file I've copied to the servers c: root.

What am I missing as I'm sure it's simple.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Download a new one from the VM Ware managed licenses. It doesn't matter where you put it, as long as the license server can find it.

0 Kudos
billz0r
Contributor
Contributor

I've redownloaded till I'm blue in the face.

I have attached the screen with the error so I know I'm adding the licenses into the correct area.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

OK, shutdown license service (force shutdown). Start the license service, then re-read license. Also when you change the license file (even though it's the same file) you can save the settings, make sure you save it before you restart it.

Maybe there is something weird with the license service, try restarting the VC machine since they are the same. Maybe that will fix it.

0 Kudos
billz0r
Contributor
Contributor

I've since found I don't have the VMWare license tools installed as this prompt came up when I started VC client.

I've uninstalled VC Server, rebooted and reinstalled it. For some reason licensing server is still not there. I must have the wrong installer. It the 1 that was in the license email link though. I'm under the impression license server installs as part of VirtualCenter Server.

0 Kudos
billz0r
Contributor
Contributor

I think I've found it. Since I downloaded this a few weeks ago I didn't realise there was a VC for VMWare Server. I d/led that ISO instead of the VC for ESX. I'm burning the ISO now. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos