VMware Cloud Community
epmMichael
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The host is licensed with VMware vSphere 5 Standard. The license edition of vCenter Server does not support VMware vSphere 5 Standard.

So I disconnected a host from vcenter server and I am now receiving this error message when I try to reconnect this host.  The host was previously connected with no issues.  Both vcenter and esxi servers are 5.5.0.  Has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I can't unfortunately tell you for sure why this worked previously. Maybe it worked with an earlier version, or the hosts were added while vCenter Server was still running in evaluation mode!? Anyway, if you have an Essentials license for vCenter Server, you should also Essentials CPU licenses as the Essentials version is sold as a kit.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

What license edition is used for vCenter Server? What you need in order to be able to add a "Standard" host is either a vCenter Server "Standard", or - with up to 3 hosts - a "Foundation" edition.

André

0 Kudos
epmMichael
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Our vCenter Server license edition is Essentials.  How would it be possible for this host to be connected prior?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I can't unfortunately tell you for sure why this worked previously. Maybe it worked with an earlier version, or the hosts were added while vCenter Server was still running in evaluation mode!? Anyway, if you have an Essentials license for vCenter Server, you should also Essentials CPU licenses as the Essentials version is sold as a kit.

André

0 Kudos
epmMichael
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We do, and that would probably explain it.  I did not set this configuration up initially, so it was puzzling to me.  I did switch our license to the essentials CPU licenses and everything works fine, just curious about the other licensing issue really. 

Thanks for the assistance.

0 Kudos