VMware Cloud Community
RNAR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The generated JDBC URL failed to connect to the vCenter Server database.

I'm trying to migrate vCenter Server; so, I setup a new Windows machine and setup SQL Server 2012 (r2?) on it and restored the database and created users/logins to match what's on the old machine. From the vCenter Server 5.5 iso file that is mounted as a DVD, I ran each of the components. It seemed to go fine until I got to vCenter Server and chose to use an existing database. It found the DSN for the database in question. But then I got an error: "The generated JDBC URL failed to connect to the vCenter Server database." The URL is like: jdbc:sqlserver://MyServer;databaseName\=virtctr

So, that is using SQL authentication. When I setup the DSN, I did click the test button at the end and it said success.

I also tried the fully qualified domain name form like: jdbc:sqlserver://MyServer.MyDomain;databaseName\=virtctr

I have tried a couple of things that I found searching the web for this error like restarting the SQL service, but those didn't work. Anyone know how to fix this?

by the way, the vimtool.log file shows: Error: The driver could not establish a secure connection to SQL Server by using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption. Error: "SQL Server did not return a response. The connection has been closed.".

I found that the host was only supporting TLS 1.2; so, I added 1.0,1.1, but that didn't make any difference.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
RNAR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Wait, so I let Windows install the latest cumulative update and reboot and this time it worked! I did reboot in the past on another attempt and it didn't work. So, ok, not sure what happened there.

0 Kudos