VMware Cloud Community
pdchelpdesk
Contributor
Contributor

The VMware vCenter Inventory Service service terminated with service-specific error Incorrect function..

Tried connecting into the web interface and it states it cannot connect to the inventory server.  I see the service is stopped and when I try to start it, it fails.  Error message in event log: The VMware vCenter Inventory Service service terminated with service-specific error Incorrect function..

I have rebooted the server and had the same issue.  I have a backup of the SQL/server but I have never ran the backup.bat as referred to in here: VMware KB: vCenter Inventory Service fails to start and cannot back up the Inventory Service databas...

I cannot seem to find a great article on what will be impacted by resetting the service fresh?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
RyanH84
Expert
Expert

Hi,

What version of vCenter are you using? Have you checked the inventory service ds. log files to see if there is a more descriptive error as to what might be happening? You could upload it here for us to take a look at it you want!

I have had issues in 5.1 where the volume that the Inventory service was installed on, ran out of space. (Ooops!). In the end, VMware recommended us to un-install it and re-install, which is effectively a re-install of all vCenter components - but it's not actually that scarey as long as you know your SSO passwords and environment well enough!

Depending on what you find in the logs, you might be able to reset the inventory DB which might allow the service to start (assuming that's where the problem is). This article describes the process, but be mindful of the cautions section.

Happy to help further!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Regards, Ryan vExpert, VCP5, VCAP5-DCA, MCITP, VCE-CIAE, NPP4 @vRyanH http://vRyan.co.uk
0 Kudos
pdchelpdesk
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere 5.5.  Log attached.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
RyanH84
Expert
Expert

Hi,

Having a look at the log I can see this error message:

Caused by: com.xhive.error.XhiveException: INTERNAL_ERROR: Corrupt log record at lsn 1194013153974, Original message: Page in file 15 offset 1c000 not found in database

My gut feeling is that you have a corrupted Inventory service. You have followed the document which says to restore it  from backup (if you have one). Therfore, your option is to reset the Inventory service DB. If you look at the bottom of the KB you linked, you can see a KB on Resetting the 5.x Inventory Service DB.

I would consider reading that document carefully and when ready to proceed, following it to the letter. Be aware of the cautions and what you will lose from the Inventory DB if you reset it. (Tags, Storage Profiles, etc)

It would also be prudent to make a copy of your bad inventory service DB first using the batch file, and if possible, taking a snapshot of your vCenter server. I would advise at this stage that if you aren't confident with the situation, to contact VMware support before hand.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Regards, Ryan vExpert, VCP5, VCAP5-DCA, MCITP, VCE-CIAE, NPP4 @vRyanH http://vRyan.co.uk
0 Kudos