Event Source: Service Control Manager

Event Category: None

Event ID: 7031

Date: 17/05/2007

Time: 11:43:26

User: N/A

Computer: Name

Description:

The VMware VirtualCenter Server service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 300000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

and this in vpxd-0.log:

\[2007-05-17 11:43:07.629 'App' 2316 error] "ODBC error: (08S01) - \[Oracle]\[ODBC]\[Ora]ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel

" is returned when executing SQL statement "BEGIN vpx_stats_rollup_by_entity(?, ?, ?, ?, ?); END;"

Manually started the service and it's working now. What caused it and will this happen again?

Regards,

Marten

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

The Oracle error is a pretty general error indicating perhaps a failure on the db server, a communication timeout, a network failure, etc. But basically the VC service could no longer communicate with the Oracle instance and this causes the service failure. Did the logs record any additional errors and have the Oracle server been checked out for problems?

0 Kudos
LMT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

There are no reports of the Oracle server having problems. I have now sent this to vmware as a support request with all logs aswell, we'll see what they come back with.

Thanks

Marten

0 Kudos
hicksj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

We JUST had this happen to us the other day. Somehow, VC stopped but the database session remained open. When VC tried to restart, would continue to fail due to this stale session. (we tested the DSN fine, Oracle didn't report any problems, etc)

We had to manually drop the stale session on the DB server. Then VC reconnected just fine. Perhaps your problem is similar...

Regards,

J

0 Kudos
evilcraig
Contributor
Contributor

We use SQL 2005 SP2 in a cluster, not oracle, and I had the same problem.

VC is on a seperate server from the SQL cluster nodes.

I found that simply moving the SQL cluster group between nodes caused the VC service to stop.

I set the windows service properties to attempt to restart the service 3 times with a gap of 5 mins between (to allow for the horrible possibility that both SQL nodes are rebooting at the same time.)

This has "helped", but the VC service still stops when it is disconneted from the SQL server.

0 Kudos
LMT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This seems to be our problem according to vmmware support:

"

Based on the error messages , it appears that the VC upgrade to vc201 patch2

release, the revised stats rollup procedure did not get created in the

database. Can you please verify with the DBA if she has followed the

prerequisites steps that is document in our release notes to grant execute

privilege on dbms_lock to vpxadmin assuming vpxadmin is the owner of the VPX

tables. Please see more information about that in the link below.

http://www.vmware.com/support/vi3/doc/vc-201-200702-patch.html

"

It's worth a try,

Marten

0 Kudos
LMT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just as a late update, followed instructions in http://www.vmware.com/support/vi3/doc/vc-201-200702-patch.html and that has not seen this issue since.

0 Kudos
Vinkie
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I know this is an old thread with VC 2.0.x but I am getting this with 2.5.x as well. Patches should not be the the overwhelming factor anymore. I am using ESX 3.5 U3 (it happened with U2 also) with VC 2.5 (any build) on SQL 2005 Express SP2. I am not an SQL fundi, so I would liketo know how to troubleshoot (in quick steps) the (dead-)locking issue (if this is indeed the case) in SQL Express.

Regards

0 Kudos
Erik_Zandboer
Expert
Expert

Hi,

This thread describes an Oracle-specific error, which you do not have (I guess Smiley Wink ). What is the exact problem? Do not forget, if the SQL server is somehow unreachable, the VirtualCenter service will simply stop as well. You cannot restart the service untill the connection to the SQL database has been restored....

Visit my blog at http://www.vmdamentals.com
0 Kudos