I received this error after trying to enable update manager on VC2.5. Virtualcenter server seems fine. DB is up and running it seems. Im not sure where this is coming from. Anythoughts??
I believe we saw this same problem. Ended up being that the process could not gain exclusive access to the database (oracle). Checked the db, there were multiple connections from vpxd. Killed those sessions, restarted VC services, and all was good.
In what way did you check your DB and should i actually see the vpxd process there? Through my monitor i saw several sessions to Virtualcenter db but upon killing them several more jsut restarted.
Resolved this issue off another post in the forum. Issue was caused by the wrong permissions on the VMware update manager service on the VC server. It was set to use "local" so I set it to use the virtualcenter DB access user. After starting and stopping the service update manager connected fine and is now working.
Thanks vmware community!
I had the same exact error this morning, this happened after we RE-IP the VC Server, had to do the following:
1) On the Virtual Center DB checked the following tables:
The IP on these tables was set to the old IP, so I changed that for the new IP (YOU MAY HAVE THIS SORTED ALREADY)
2) rebooted the server
3) Once it came back up I ran the Update Manager .MSI file ONLY and completely uninstalled the application
4) rebooted the server
5) ran the VC Install and it automatically detected the only missing addon was vc update manager, went through the install and selected the existing DSN entry but selected the option to start with a new blank database .
7) checked the plugins and was able to tick update manager and it started successfully.
hope this helps, cheers.
I**** If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful ****
I ran into similar situation. In our situation it ended up being an issue as someone changed the administrator password (which was tied to the Update Manager connecting to VC). The weird thing was that the services would still start/stop normally. I ended up having to run the install again and run the repair option.
That fixed us up.