VMware Cloud Community
DFN
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Templates greyed out (disconnected)

Launched like 6 VMs from a template last Friday. Came in today, and all the VMs were up and running but all of my templates, not just the one I was using are listed a:

Template Name (disconnected).

Only right click option is "Add permission"

Thoughts?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

the way I do it, is within VC, find the datastore in which the templates are located, double click on the datastore to open it. Once it's open, right click on the orphaned template and choose remove from inventory. Once the template is removed, go to you datastore, find the folder with the templates name, open that, then right click on the .vmtx (Template VM) and choose add to inventory... follow the prompts.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

did you restart the hostd (service mgmt-vmware restart) process of a particular Host, that these templates were on? I have seen my templates come up as disconnected when this happens.

Restarting your VCMS service will probably fix the issue. What will happen after the restart of the VCMS service, the templates may show up as orphaned. Then you can remove them from inventory and add them back in.

hope this helps.

0 Kudos
DFN
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Could you by chance add the steps to re-add orphaned templates back in? I know how to re-add hosts but have never re-added a VM and/or template. I'll try restarting the service now....

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

the way I do it, is within VC, find the datastore in which the templates are located, double click on the datastore to open it. Once it's open, right click on the orphaned template and choose remove from inventory. Once the template is removed, go to you datastore, find the folder with the templates name, open that, then right click on the .vmtx (Template VM) and choose add to inventory... follow the prompts.

0 Kudos
DFN
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Troy. Just restarting the service worked. I would of thought of this except the guests that were on there were reporint to VI fine. Just the templates. Anyway didn't need to go through the readd of templates from datastore but thanks for all the help. Points on the way.

D

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

glad I could be of assistance!

0 Kudos