VMware Cloud Community
JDLangdon
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Templates are Orphaned?

Over the past few weeks my templates have gone into an orphaned state several times. I know I can remove from and add these back into inventory but my question is why does this continue to happen? Is there any log files that I can look at that handles this type of event?

Jason

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jebarber
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It's especially annoying considering when you remove it and add it to the inventory again you have lost all the detailed notes you had entered telling you what template was what. grr.....

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
hicksj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

You're not alone Smiley Sad

I've seen this in the past and I've been waiting to see this listed in the "Resolved Issues" section of VC update release notes for a while... Last it happened to us, I think we just restarted VC to clear it up. Fortunately we haven't seen it repeatedly for a while, because it does become quite annoying!

ejward
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I leave my templates as VM's because of this. VM's don't seem to get orphanded for no reason like templates do.

trusted1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Same problem at our shop. It is kind of annoying. I guess I should problaby file something with VMware so "the squeaky wheel gets the oil".

0 Kudos
JDLangdon
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I guess I'm not the only one with this issue.

I'll try converting everything back to VM's to see if that helps.

Jason

0 Kudos
jebarber
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It's especially annoying considering when you remove it and add it to the inventory again you have lost all the detailed notes you had entered telling you what template was what. grr.....

0 Kudos
Kahonu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I never quite understood the advantage of a template over an always powered-off cloneable VM.

Can someone enlighten me??

0 Kudos
JDLangdon
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Templates can be "compressed" so that they take up less disk space then a powered-off cloneable VM.

0 Kudos