VMware Cloud Community
quikstep
Contributor
Contributor

Template name in italic

Hi gurus,

I need to understand what happened and how to normalize my template.

It is now displayed with italic text in my VIC.

When right-clecked, it displays only "Add Permission" option.

Pls advice as I do not want to reinstall them. Thanks.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Restart hostd on the host that has the templates.....

service mgmt-vmware restart

0 Kudos
quikstep
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Let me just add more information to what I've done prior to posting here.

I did "service mgmt-vmware restart" - no good. The fact is, within the same ESX server, only the templates are italiced while the guests are running fine. In fact, restarting proved to be worse as it knocked the working servers to become italiced.

Restarted Virtual Center service in the VC service - also no good. Nothing happened.

Thanks for the reply. I'm still looking to solve it without rebooting the ESX server.

0 Kudos
Smiddie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Right click on the template. Remove from inventory.

Browse your datastore and re-add them. No reboot required.

Had something similar happen and this fixed it for us.

Regards,

Raymond

Regards, Raymond
0 Kudos
Erik_Zandboer
Expert
Expert

Your VMs going grayed out is normally an issue with your storage. Check to see if your ESX host is still able to browse to the VMFS/NFS store where your VMs should be. Changes are that this store is no longer available to that ESX host... You could try to run "vdf -h" on the console... You should see your stores there. Then browse there and see if you still see your VM config files.

Visit my blog at http://www.vmdamentals.com
0 Kudos
quikstep
Contributor
Contributor

Erik,

That has been done earlier as well. I've verified that all the folders and files permission are as it is supposed to be. Thanks for the suggestion.

0 Kudos
quikstep
Contributor
Contributor

Smiddie,

My quandary is that I only have 1 option when right-clicking the italiced server. And that is "Add Permission". All other options in the menu has been greyed out.

0 Kudos
Smiddie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

quikstep,

but aren't you able to browse the datastore? If you click your host you get the summary screen to the right which lists your datastores. Right click the datastore which stores the templates, select browse, find it and add it to inventory from there. Or is it also italic there (which I can not imagine)?

I assume it is still the template that is italic as you say in the opening post and not the server which you refer to in your reply.

Regards,

Raymond

Regards, Raymond
0 Kudos
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Restart the vpxa service.......

service vmware-vpxa restart

0 Kudos