VMware Cloud Community
cs_vmware
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Template for Windows 2008 - Administrator password not working

I'm using VC 2.5 U2 and ESX 3.5 U2.

I've created a Windows 2008 Standard 32-bit VM, converted it to a template, and then changed the VM OS setting to Vista 32-bit (as noted on these forums). Then I've created a customization specification in VC.

When I deploy VM's from this template, the sysprep customisation runs and completes OK. However, when I try to logon to the newly created VM, the administrator password is not accepted, I receive an error in the VM: "The user name or password is incorrect".

I have tried different passwords, blank passwords (after turning off Windows password complexity).

So, I am locked out of every Windows 2008 VM that I deploy.

Any ideas please?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
aleph0
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

is the keybord mapping correct? sometimes sysprep change keyb mapping setting and if you have special carachters in password you are writing the wrong word without knowing

\aleph0

(in italian)

###############

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

\aleph0 ____________________________ http://virtualaleph.blogspot.com/ ############### If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
aleph0
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

is the keybord mapping correct? sometimes sysprep change keyb mapping setting and if you have special carachters in password you are writing the wrong word without knowing

\aleph0

(in italian)

###############

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

\aleph0 ____________________________ http://virtualaleph.blogspot.com/ ############### If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
0 Kudos
cs_vmware
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks that was the problem. I had specified an administrator password in my customization that had special characters. It now works.

My working solution is as follows:

1. Create Windows 2008 VM.

2. Turn off password complexity in the VM via GPEDIT.MSC.

3. Reset the Administrator password in the VM to blank.

4. Power down the VM.

5. Change the VM OS type to Windows Vista 32-bit.

6. Convert the VM to a template.

7. Create a customization for Windows 2008. Enter the Administrator password as something simple with no special characters, for example: password

8. Deploy a new VM from the template, using the customization.

9. Before powering on the new VM, change the VM OS type to Windows 2008 32-bit.

10. Power up the VM and allow the Microsoft sysprep process to complete.

11. VM will now be ready and should accept the Administrator password.

0 Kudos