VMware Cloud Community
louptech
Contributor
Contributor

Template Single Point of Failure?

I've been exploring the use of Virtual Center in a product we are creating, and have noticed that Templates are associated with a given host. If that hose is put in maintenance mode, the template can no longer be used to create vms. On the other hand, if I have an unregistered vm/template plate on the san, I can register it on any host. Is there something I'm missing here, or is the Template design in VC really this poor at handling failures?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
acr
Champion
Champion

Ok that may be so, but as a business process im not sure its an issue.. After all you can always clone, sysprep and convert to template, all over again..

0 Kudos
Mayur_Patel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I don't agree about it not being an issue. I depends on the environment. I'm at a customer currently that is more interested in making sure that their templates are restorable after a server crash rather than their VMs.

They use the VMs to do some software testing and create and delete Vms all day. They need to have their templates to start from.

I also agree that in most cases the templates can be recreated rather quickly, but if the templates had a lot of customization done to them, it could take time.

Mayur

0 Kudos
acr
Champion
Champion

Ok, thats what the suggestion box is for..

0 Kudos
langonej
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I agree with Patel on this one.

0 Kudos