VMware Cloud Community
barrickd
Contributor
Contributor

Sysprep and VCenter 2.5 Update 2

Previously had vcenter 2.0.1 running and created Windows 2003 Server SP2 template. Template was stored on a shared disk (SAN). Deploying VM's from this template worked as expected.

Recently performed a clean install of vcenter 2.5 update 2. Imported template into inventory. Attempting to deploy a new VM from this template, we select the option to customize the guest using customization wizard. Opt to name the computer using the vm name, and reset sid, etc.... VM get's deployed, we power it on and sysprep never runs on the newly created vm. So the computer name never gets changed, sid remains same, etc...

any ideas how to fix? currently have a call to vmware support, but figured I'd check here as well.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
wpatton
Expert
Expert

Have you copied the contents of the deploy.cab file into the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\sysprep\xp folder on your VirtualCenter Server?

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

*Disclaimer: VMware Employee* If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
barrickd
Contributor
Contributor

No, as we are deploying Win2003 Server and not WinXP.

I have however extracted the contents of deploy.cab from the Win2003 Server Sysprep tool to "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\sysprep\svr2003"

0 Kudos
wpatton
Expert
Expert

Make sure to do them both because the Windows XP SP2 sysprep can be used for both 2003 and XP and is more up to date.

More information:

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

*Disclaimer: VMware Employee* If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
NJKwork
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have the same problem, as discussed here:

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/161596?tstart=15

SB

0 Kudos
barrickd
Contributor
Contributor

Not sure how I missed your thread, as I looked before posting mine.

At any rate, yes, sounds like we're expreiencing the exact same issue. Only difference that I can tell is you upgraded to VCenter 2.5 u2, where I performed a clean install, also our ESX hosts are v. 3.0.1 You have a SR open with VMWare right? I'll mention this to my tech just so they know it's probably more of a widespread issue then they think at the moment.

0 Kudos
NJKwork
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yep, I have a call in with support. I have tried deploying to 3.02, 3.5 U1, and 3.5 U2 ESX hosts. They all fail the same way. Sorry I can't be of any help, but at least you know other people are having the same problem (which means it's not your environment).

SB

0 Kudos
NJKwork
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

As posted by Einstein-a-go-go:

I may have a workaround for this issue. The success rate is high.

We will roll back a customization file to an older version. If you have VC

2.5 or VC 2.5u1 install media available. If not you can download from here:

http://www.vmware.com/download/download.do?downloadGroup=VC250U1

1. Rename VC 2.5 U2 version of "guestcustutil.exe" (428KB) to

"guestcustutil.exe.old".

2. Copy a VC 2.5 GA version "guestcustutil.exe" (408KB) in "C:\Program

Files\VMware\Infrastructure\VirtualCenter Server" to the same location on

the VC 2.5 U2 server.

So if you just extract the install media and the only file you need is

"guestcustutil.exe". Then customization should be working again.

Thanks to Dan@VMware for this one!

I've tested and it works fine!

I am testing it now myself....

SB

0 Kudos
barrickd
Contributor
Contributor

I extracted the guestcustutil.exe from VCenter 2.5 (no updates) and copied as suggested.

VM deployed from template correctly sets computer name, and resets sid. Great find and thanks for updating!! Hopefully VMWare identifies the bug and fixes it sooner than later.

0 Kudos