VMware Cloud Community
RobLI
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Switching to New Virtual Center 2.5 server

Hi

I am new to VMware and up until now, I have been using the Eval of Virtual Center 2.5 running in a VM running SQLExpress. SQLExpress has been a resource hog and causes 100% CPU utilization frequently. VMware support has recommended that I run Virtual Center on a physical box and to switch to SQL 2005. They also said that they wouldn't recommend trying to migrate the data from the SQLExpress db into the 2005 db.

Has anyone else faced this, and if so, will I need to completely rebuild the environment or will I simply be able to Add the hosts to the new server? This is a very small implementation. I've only got 2 hosts, 3 VMs and a few templates.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Rob

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Renegade25
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Rob,

For me, the best way is to start clean. I would install VC again using SQL2005 as a backend. Installation is pretty straightforward. You will avoid future problems if you do it this way. We also started as a very small implementation but it got bigger and bigger as years go by.

Hope that helps

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Renegade25
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Rob,

For me, the best way is to start clean. I would install VC again using SQL2005 as a backend. Installation is pretty straightforward. You will avoid future problems if you do it this way. We also started as a very small implementation but it got bigger and bigger as years go by.

Hope that helps

0 Kudos
REALM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

What will he lose going to another VC and database? How will the hosts be affected?

What about the ESX networking? Doesn't it get that info from the VC and database? Once you hook up another blank VC and database to it, what will the host config do?

0 Kudos
Renegade25
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

REALM,

The host will not get affected. He needs to remove the hosts first and then add it to the newly built VC. He will loose performance metrics definitely. But on such a small deployment, i would rebuild VC.

0 Kudos
RobLI
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for the replies.

REALM, your question was what I was wondering too. Networking, etc. Will it all be lost? Looks like if I remove the hosts from the old VC and add them back to the new VC, I don't loose anything except performance history, which in my case is not relavant, since it hasn't gone into production just yet.

Thanks for the help!

Rob

0 Kudos
Renegade25
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Rob,

Please mark the question as answered (by me Smiley Happy )...Thanks.....

0 Kudos
RobLI
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Done, Thanks!

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Take a look at this thread regarding the performance issue - http://communities.vmware.com/message/839916#839916. You would also loose any custom user permissions, alerts, HA/DRS cluster info, but as stated you'll be able to move your hosts to the new VC server without disrupting the running of your VMs. Your templates will disappear, but what you can do is browse the datastore, find the vmtx file and the right click on it and select register.

0 Kudos