VMware Cloud Community
beckham007fifa

Swapping IP and hostname and installing fresh vcenter 5.0?

Hi Guys,

I have a strategy to move from vcenter 4.0 to vcenter 5.0.

Current set up:

Windows server 2003 64bit, Vcenter installed on it, Database 10.2.0.4 32bit on the same server. 32 bit dsn, not possible to move with 64bit dsn

Another server i have made with

win 2003 64bit ent, 64bit database installed on it.

Looking to migrated the database from the existing server to this one with the same name, swapping IP and hostname of the server with the existing on

then creating dsn on this new server and installing vcenter 5.0 and pointing to the new database through new 64bit DSN.

Need your inputs of there is any flaws in my plan. Thankyou.

Regards,

Regards, ABFS
0 Kudos
6 Replies
beckham007fifa

can anyone please help me on the same.

Regards, ABFS
0 Kudos
wasim21k
Contributor
Contributor

AFAIK, only 32bit DSN is supported.

in regard with ip address i dont see any problem.

0 Kudos
beckham007fifa

Thanks..

Yes and I am not able to create 64bit DSN on the existing 2003 server.

Its good if there is no problem with Ip and hostname change will not have any effect.

Regards, ABFS
0 Kudos
chriswahl
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Should be simple to test; make a backup of the database on the 32bit DB and see if it can be attached to the server with the 64bit DB. Then try to make the 64bit DSN.

If that works, you should be good to go. Power off the original server and swap the name / IP / vCenter over. If it fails, you should be able power off the new server and power on the old one as a backout plan.

VCDX #104 (DCV, NV) ஃ WahlNetwork.com ஃ @ChrisWahl ஃ Author, Networking for VMware Administrators
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

ESX 4.0 introduced 64-bit DSN's, the ONLY product that does NOT support 64-bit DSN is update manager, it still requires 32-bit DSN.  Other than that, you should not have ANY problems with this.

0 Kudos
beckham007fifa

Thanks for your inputs,

One major confussion,

I will be going with new vspehere 5.0 installation on the new server and DB will  be migrated on the new server and with 64bit DSN will be used to connect it.

OR

Is it good to have vcenter 4.0 installed again on the new server and then upgrade to vsphere 5.0?

P.S . In this scenario, I will have DB migrated to new server, swappiing IP , dsn creation and then vcenter 5.0 installation.

Regards, ABFS
0 Kudos