VMware Cloud Community
coastalitsuppor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Swap file - urgent

Hi all,

relocated server, for some reason swap file was on another attached location. Now no vms will start can’t access swap file.

esxi 6.0. Is there a quick easy way to get the vms up and running without trying to gain access to the original swap file location?

thank you!!!

8 Replies
coastalitsuppor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I’ve tried to goto advanced and remove / change the swap file line and unregister - register the VM but didn’t work....tried manually creating the the path to the data store under advanced and didn’t work.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

It depends on how the swap file location has been configured.

In case it's a cluster configuration (ESXi managed by vCenter Server) you should be able to reconfigure it in the cluster settings. In case the relocation has been configured on a per VM basis, you will have to remove the related settings from each of the VM's configuration (.vmx) files.

André

scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Please do not start multiple threads on the same topic.

As this thread has a reply, I have deleted the first instance you created earlier today.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
coastalitsuppor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It’s not a cluster sorry.

1 x DC

1 x RDS

very basic setup. as simple as you can

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

In this case, please download the VM's configuration (.vmx) files, and attach them to a reply post.

Please verify that the files do not contain non-public content, e.g. private annotations etc.

André

0 Kudos
coastalitsuppor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I’ll do that tomorrow morning thanks. Nothing private will only have one datastore DS1.

0 Kudos
coastalitsuppor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Andre,

just to confirm though should be able to repoint to a new location and start the servers up correct without the need for the existing swap file?

0 Kudos
coastalitsuppor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Managed to track external drive where swap file as on and managed to get servers back online

0 Kudos