VMware Cloud Community
CWedge
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Sub Resource Pools? Good, Bad?

What would be a good condition to use a Sub resource pool?

I saw many things where people set up LOW, NORMAL, HIGH Resource Pools..

But would it also acomplish the same if you have

Main one being UNLIMITED (set to High) then Sub Low and Sub Normals of the Unlimited?

Thanks,

Craig

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kix1979
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I use it to guarantee resources to my test environment, but also keep run-away apps from sucking them all up. So I have several main DRS groups, like Prod/Test/Running Apps. Each gets specific amounts guaranteed to it, and inside of those there are only DRS groups which then can get specific allocations. For example I give about 10,000Mhz to my Prod, but I then give 5000Mhz to Exchange and 2000Mhz to SQL. Either can use more, but no matter what I have an SLA for each type. At the same time I then have 2000Mhz given to another main group for running apps that I don't want part of the Prod group.

Thomas H. Bryant III

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
kix1979
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I use it to guarantee resources to my test environment, but also keep run-away apps from sucking them all up. So I have several main DRS groups, like Prod/Test/Running Apps. Each gets specific amounts guaranteed to it, and inside of those there are only DRS groups which then can get specific allocations. For example I give about 10,000Mhz to my Prod, but I then give 5000Mhz to Exchange and 2000Mhz to SQL. Either can use more, but no matter what I have an SLA for each type. At the same time I then have 2000Mhz given to another main group for running apps that I don't want part of the Prod group.

Thomas H. Bryant III
0 Kudos
GBromage
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If you're providing resources to other departments, it can be useful to create a resource pool for the department and sub-resource pools beneath that. You can the provide reports (and potentially charge-back) based on the usage.

I hope this information helps you. If it does, please consider awarding points with the 'Helpful' or 'Correct' buttons. If it doesn't help you, please ask for clarification!
davidbarclay
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

...to add my 2 cents.

Most clients like the dev/test/prod protection.

Some go with dept based.

Few go with application based (i.e. all the servers that provide CRM services).

Charge-back is another big one. The ability to put hard resource limits on a cost model.

Different strokes for different folks really, but if you have a large deployment and are NOT using RPs, you are missing out on cool stuff.

On the flip side, over doing it just adds complexity and makes it harder to figure out why a VM is/isn't get necessary resources.

Dave

davidbarclay
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Question answered? Points?

Dave

0 Kudos
dpomeroy
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

I agree with the benefits and also with the "flip side". Creating an overly complex environment can really add some pain in troubleshooting. So I would recommend starting with the top level resource pools, make sure you have a good handle on how everything works and the relationship between child and parent resource pools, and then slowly add child resource pools in cases where that would make sense.

0 Kudos
CWedge
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Question answered? Points?

Dave

I marked as best is could. Since there is no REAL RIGHT answer..

0 Kudos