VMware Cloud Community
edevlin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Storage vMotion - unable to move VM

All,

I recently upgrade to vCenter Essentials version 4.1 ESXi 4.1 U3 from VC2.5 ESX 3 - I decided to make my new vCenter server a VM - everything went well on the upgrade so I am now looking to do some work on my storage system (EMC Celerra). I have virtually no space left on my LUN's and my CIFS shares are becoming full also....however I have a file system inside EMC that's 6TB in size which houses a 200GB LUN - this is the LUN that holds my vCenter VM. What I am looking to do is.....move this vCenter VM off this LUN onto local storage, re-allocate the 6TB file system to the pool and extend the CIFS file system by 3TB and then present the rest of the space as LUN's for VMware. My problem is I am not licensed for storage vMotion and they only way I can storage vMotion the VM off this LUN is to shut it down and move it however because this is my vCenter server I can perform this action through the client.

I would imagine that I might need to drill into the host using putty to move the vmdk file but I am looking for any helpful steps to enable me to move this VM.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you are not licensed for Storage vMotion, then you may look at using VMware Converter and doing a V2V.  Once the vCenter VM has been "copied" to the new destination LUN, power it on, ensure all is good, then delete from disk the "old" vCenter VM.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you are not licensed for Storage vMotion, then you may look at using VMware Converter and doing a V2V.  Once the vCenter VM has been "copied" to the new destination LUN, power it on, ensure all is good, then delete from disk the "old" vCenter VM.

0 Kudos
edevlin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Great shout.....thanks!

0 Kudos