VMware Cloud Community
media_gen
Contributor
Contributor

Storage vMotion VC Plug-in

Anyone installed and used the "graphical" storage vMotion VC plugin that is linked below?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

my answer to that is no,

and judging by the comments

the plugin is not anywhere close to supported by VMware because it is the result of a two-week dive into the inner-workings of the VI client libraries with popular reflection tools (reverse-engineering).

it shows a remarkable lack of acumen to admit to that, if they have not done their homework correctly they are open to a very large law suit. It will not be going anywhere near my VC's for quite a while, and that includes my Test/Dev environment.

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
media_gen
Contributor
Contributor

I'll most likely holdoff until VMware builds a graphical interface for storage vMotion into VC. Although, this is a good option if we end up having an immediate need. It might be worth installing and playing around with on some "test" VMs.

0 Kudos
DigitalVoodoo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Tom's concerns expressed above are certainly accurate and absolutely require weighing the risks accordingly. That being said, the plug-in (latest rev) works perfectly in my environment, and I'm using it as I speak/write to sVmotion production VMs to different LUNs in preparation for some SAN disk shelf reconfiguration. I did a good number of test migrations before using it in prod, and I haven't had a single problem. Just my $.02.

pdrace
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I have used it quite a bit and it's worked fine (considering the limitations of SVmotion in it's current state) .

I could be naive, but I don't see the issue with what the author said. He didn't say he reused the VI code to write the Plugin and he's not charging for it

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

The term reverse engineering has a very specific legal term and a very defined set of methodology.

firstly the item you wish to copy needs to be investigated by a team of engineers and a scope of work defined.

secondly once the scope of work has been defined, this must be carried out by unpoluted coders and engineers,

have a read of the IBM Compaq law suit surrounding the reverse engineering of the IBM BIOS in the early 80's. it makes for interesting reading and defines the scope for Reverse Engineering".

Tom Howarth

Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

Bla blah blah - a lot of complaining about something relativly minor.....and the lawsuit comment is laughable.

The plugin actually works fine in my env.

--Matt

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
jgalexan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Why does everyone need a GUI for everything. SVMotion is not that hard to work with.

If you use a cmd window and cd to the install directory of svmotion, it is quite easy to use.

from the command line issue the following:

svmotion.pl --interactive

This will ask you questions, and then do the move. Very easy, and I have used it many times. And it is supported.

TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

and your problem is.

Tom Howarth

0 Kudos