VMware Cloud Community
alias747
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Storage Vmotion weird results

Hello, we just recently upgraded to ESX 3.5 and VC 2.5. I have been doing some storage vmotions and the results seem to be kind of erratic. Just an example, I just s-vmotioned a VM that was running on the local storage of one of the ESX hosts to one of the shared SANs. When I look at the VM now, under the "datastore" section on the summary tab it still says the local storage AND the SAN storage is there too. If I switch to Datastore view, it is telling me that the VM is running on the local storage as well as the SAN I just transferred it to. Is there something I am missing? This has happened several times now and I can't seem to figure out why it would do this. Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ac57846
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Is the VM using a CD or floppy image that is on the local storage of the ESX server?

SVmotion moves the VM files but not any removable media images that it is using.

Also has the SVMotion completed? While the task is in progress the VM will use both source & destination datastore.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Your post has been moved to the VirtualCenter 2.x forum

Dave Mishchenko

VMware Communities User Moderator

0 Kudos
ac57846
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Is the VM using a CD or floppy image that is on the local storage of the ESX server?

SVmotion moves the VM files but not any removable media images that it is using.

Also has the SVMotion completed? While the task is in progress the VM will use both source & destination datastore.

0 Kudos
alias747
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you, that was exactly what the problem was! Just had to remove a few images from the CD and floppys. Thanks!

0 Kudos